29. The Battle of Hogwarts pt.2

✻ When snakes cry.

Lizl had shed her leather jacket with the help of Madam Pomfrey. Her beloved pet and life companion had been destroyed in order to protect her. There were burn marks all around her back, and scales were Lilith was now permanently etched on her body.

Maybe she should visit Giuseppe and become a lab rat.

Lizl was numb as the healer worked on her hand enough to stop the searing pain and sent her back to the hall were the bodies and the rest of the injured lay. She had levitated Liam long enough for one of his wizards to find them and carry him the rest of the way. Caitlin had crumbled down wailing at the sight of her twin, gone. For the first time since her birth, she was alone.

The witch left her people at the infirmary with Cait and Liam as she walked through the halls. She needed something. She needed him. She wanted to run into Fred's arms and never let go. She numbly tuned into Voldemort's gloating.

"You have fought," said the high, cold voice, "valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste. Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat immediately. You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured. I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour."

As soon as Voldemort had set the terms of his offer, Lizl stepped inside the hall.

The first thing she heard was Molly's cries, painfully heartbreaking.

The second thing was George's muffled yelling.

And then she saw him.

Her husband was lying on the floor next to the bodies, his face pale.

He was dead. Her husband was dead. Her Freddy was dead.

Harry was the first one to notice her. He might've called her name, or maybe Lizl was hearing things. But as the Weasley clan turned to look at her, Lizl's only reaction was... to giggle.

A haunting, terrifying little giggle, that contrasted the cries all around her.

She couldn't walk any further. She didn't want to get any closer. Her giggles had turned into full blown laughter, and her laughter had turned into a coughing fit so bad she forgot how to breathe.

Harry rushed to her side, but she shot out her hands, tears now running down her face.

"This. This isn't real."

"Liz." Harry whispered cautiously.

"This isn't real. This can't be real. Fred. Is not. Dead."

"Elizabeth." He tried again.

"No. This is not. He's not. He can't be dead."

"Liz—" Harry tried once more.

Lizl wailed and pushed him off her.

"Don't touch me. DON'T TOUCH ME!"

Lizl stumbled towards Fred's body. Her knees finally gave up as she fell by her husbands side.

She vaguely remembers hearing gasps at the sight of her now bare back, but she paid little mind. With her good hand — the one that could still feel his skin against hers — she reached out and linked her fingers with his. Thankfully, Madam Pomfrey was able to salvage her wedding rings, which now were hanging on a small chain on her neck.