Part 5: Streets

I had sobered up enough after the bartender escorted me out to know I wasn't drunk. My realization that this man I saw was definitely Khalil made me anxious.He was standing in front of me.He looked more mature since the last time I saw him. My guard was up because I knew what he was capable of so I stepped back a little. I felt my body temperature rising and my skin heating up.Our eyes met again and I could feel his energy. Khalil was standing in front of me not PainKiller.... At-least not yet....
" Khalil"
He didn't stop staring at me.
"Don't get too close, I still have the kill order and I know I have limited time before PainKiller tries to make an appearance."
My heart sank as of I didn't know that already. I just wanted to hug him.
"You look beautiful J".
I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. I ignored it.
" Thanks, you don't look so bad yourself". I complimented him back. All the training he had been doing was showing. 

"Anissa and TC told me you were here....in Akashic Valley." I admitted.

He still hadn't looked away. His brown eyes focused on me.

"Yeah, this is home for now".

His face scrunched as if he felt a surge of pain.

" I'm only here because Keisha told me to meet her at this bar. I didn't know you were gonna be here. I'm in town for a summer program". I said quickly. I could see the internal battle on his face. I knew I had to leave soon. There was so much I have wanted to say and my mind feels more blank now that I've been presented with the opportunity.

Before he could respond I heard what sounded like firecrackers coming from inside the club. We heard a repeated pop sound. Partygoers started flooding out of the bar and into the street. A few people bumped into me causing me to drop my phone.

It was already night fall and the shadows of the frantic crowd cast shadows on the pavement making it nearly impossible to see anything on the ground

It was already night fall and the shadows of the frantic crowd cast shadows on the pavement making it nearly impossible to see anything on the ground. Next thing I knew Keisha and Brandon came running out. I looked around only to see Khalil had vanished as well. The crowd was in a panic. The police car sirens at a distance were looming closer and closer.

"Come on girl!" Keisha yelled. We were use to this kind of thing in Freeland especially with club 100 but didn't think Akashic Valley would be just as crazy.
Brandon, Keisha and I ran down the block until we no longer saw the crowd. 

"What happened back there?" I asked.

" We were dancing, you disappeared and like ten mins later we heard gunshots" Keisha replied.
" Yeah, it was crazy, where did you go?" Brandon asked me.
The thoughts of whether to tell the truth or not ran through my head. I could tell Brandon but didn't want to drop the I'm a super hero, my ex is alive and has a chip controlling him storyline to Keisha.

" Long story, but I wasn't feeling well so I stepped out" I lied.
Brandon gave me a skeptical look while Keisha's mannerisms seemed to say she believed me.
We walked over to the student apartments.
"Do you guys wanna come up?"
" I should go before my mom notices I'm gone, I'm just gonna call a Lyft" Keisha replied.