19

It seemed Foolish had taken your words to heart because for the next week, just as you would bring him the daily offering, he would have something waiting for you when you walked into the temple.

It was always something small - a flower from the fields of the hill, or a pretty stone, or maybe a piece of sea glass from the shore. You didn't ask how he got them - he was a god of creation after all, more than capable of just opening the palm of his hand and having the trinkets spring up from nothing. If it had been anyone else, the little trinkets would have ended up in the pockets of your robes.

But it was Foolish, and he was just so excited to be giving you things, so you took special care of each of his little gifts. You pressed the flowers so they wouldn't wilt, and started a little bowl of the stones and pieces of sea glass he would present you with. It was a welcome addition to the decor of your room - every time you caught sight of the little things you would smile.

As you walked, the offering plate in your hands, you couldn't help but wonder what he had for you today.

You had been sure to stock today's offering with his favorites - the plate had a generous pile of sweet berries, dried dates and a vial of oil. If the city was in a better state, the plate would have been overflowing - but you did the best you could. You wished you could have given him more, but for now, a simple offering and your friendship would have to suffice.

He didn't seem too upset with either.

Starting up the steps to the temple, you shifted the plate over to one hand as to open the door and slip inside. It was brighter than normal as you entered the temple - but you had slept in a little later than usual anyways. Sunlight streamed down from the skylight above you, illuminating the dust motes as they floated through the air. The golden detailing on the walls and columns glittered in the morning light, but you paid it no mind, instead your eyes going directly to the altar.

It was empty. The steps where Foolish sat were clear of any familiar figures besides the statue they led to.

Closing the door behind you, you still set the plate of offerings down on the altar, unconcerned. He had done this a handful of times before - it was a little game that you played along to occasionally. He would hide and stifle his giggles, and you would search around the temple until you found him. Sometimes it took longer than others - he was perfectly capable of just going invisible, after all.

"Hm." You mused aloud, spinning around to cast your gaze over the temple. "I wonder where Foolish could be..."

You paused, waiting for the tell tale giggle that would send you off on your search, only to be met with complete silence. He was serious about it today then.

"I guess I'd better start looking..."

You walked back to the front of the temple, taking a moment to look around the back of each of the pillars by the door, even though you would have seen him right away when you walked in there. Not finding him, you moved onto the pillars spaced around the walls, doing a full circle around each of them with no results.

Pausing again in the center of the room, you spun around. "Well, if you're not behind any of the pillars...

Starting up the few steps in front of the altar, you peered around the back of the statue. Behind the likeness of himself was one of Foolishs' favorite hiding spots - it was all too easy for him to strike up the same pose the statue held and just stand at it's back. You were a bit ashamed to say that you had walked right past him more than once.

Now, you checked carefully, even running a hand over the back of the statue just to make sure he wasn't invisible. Your hand traveled across the smooth stone - not a hint of anything else. He wasn't there then.

"Hmm... maybe he's invisible..."

Arms outstretched, you made another lap around the room, this time laying a hand on all the walls and pillars, searching for the softness of skin amongst the stone. You traced fingers along the gold stripes inlaid in the stone, and over the grooves of each of the pillars, collecting dust in the crevices in your fingerprints. Foolish was nowhere to be found though, and you had to brush the dust on your hands off on your robes.

When you had to pace around the room, feeling through the air for where he might be standing, you began to grow worried.

You'd checked around every pillar, along all the walls, behind the statue - where else was there to hide? The temple wasn't that big, and there weren't really any nooks and crannies that would make for good hiding places. If he wasn't invisible and just evading you, you weren't sure that he was here at all.

You wandered back to the altar steps, sitting down next to the plate of offerings that you had brought with you. "It would be a shame for these sweet berries to go to waste." You goaded. "And I've brought dates too..."

The only response you got was the empty air of the room. No stifled giggles, nothing. Only the soft drifting of dust motes through the sunlight, and a sinking feeling in your stomach that this wasn't a game at all. He had been here every day before though without fail... and nothing had seemed amiss yesterday. It had been weeks now with no trouble from Anello or the other gods on Foolishs end as far as you knew, but...

"Foolish?"

There was no response.