15

It was easier getting back into the acropolis than it had been getting out. The guards that had been at the gate earlier were gone - probably at the colosseum with the rest of the city, watching the fights. It was only a matter of unlocking the gate and letting yourself back in.

The walk back to Foolishs' temple was quiet. You could still hear the distant roar of the colosseum every now and then, the muffled sound of the crowd mixing in with the background noise of the chatter of songbirds and the tap of footsteps on the stone path beneath your feet. The distant cheers were only a reminder of how the day had turned.

When you had set out felt like a different day. You had been excited then - and for the first half of the trip you had seen the city with new eyes. Now, as you approached Anoitos' temple, that familiar dread had sunk back into your bones - it had been nice, to see the city with Foolish, but it had only served to reinforce the notion that things were falling apart in the end.

It didn't help that the dread was accompanied by guilt - both for showing Foolish the mosaic of himself and the colosseum.

Still, when you reached his temple again and bid him farewell, he thanked you. You hadn't been expecting it, but there was no malice in his grin when he'd said he'd enjoyed the tour and your company. You were sure he had only said it to make you feel better, but you still left his temple with a lighter heart, closing the gilded golden doors behind you.

The feeling didn't last for long though, as you caught sight of a familiar portly figure waiting for you at the bottom of the steps.

Anello loitered at the end of the path, his hands folded in front of him, resting on his belly. He smiled as you made eye contact, nodding politely. "Praise be." He greeted, his voice rumbly but light.

You smiled back, a war of different feelings surging within you. The memory of that deep unsettling disgust that had curled in you when Anello had gripped your arm. Guilt, that you would even think such a thing about the man who had done nothing but provide for you - and the rest of the worship members. Suspicion that he was waiting here for you. Fear that someone had seen you and Foolish out and about in the city and reported back to him.

Still, you made your way down the steps, returning his greeting. "Praise be, Anello." You nodded to him as you reached the bottom of the steps, pausing. "What brings you here? I didn't think you were one to frequent this temple - you've always been more fond of his brother."

"I figured I might find you here." Anello said. "I meant to find you after worship this morning, but you had gone."

Though he didn't ask the question directly, you could still hear it in his tone of voice - where were you? The butterflies in your stomach roiled for a moment, but you just nodded, dipping your head. "I just wanted to take a stroll around the city." You said. "Reconnect with the people. I stopped to see the beginning of todays fights as well."

Anello hummed, his gaze turning to the horizon, overlooking the city. "And how were the fights today?"

"As they always are." You said noncommittally. The conversation dwindled for a moment, and you followed Anello's gaze, drifting over the city below the hill. You weren't actually looking over the horizon though - you were waiting for the other shoe to drop. The real reason why Anello was here.

A breeze passed over you, tousling your robes around the hem. Anello sighed as it passed, the hands that had been folded in front of him moving to adjust his silver prayer beads. It was a moment more of contemplative silence before he spoke.

"Y/N, when you asked me about the gods appearing in corporeal form... were you being completely honest with me?" Anello looked back over to you, an expression of concern on his face. He sounded like a parent who knew for a fact that you had been lying, but was giving you a chance to come clean. Part of you wanted to tell him.

Only, you could remember the sudden manic energy in his eyes when there had been a moment when he'd believed you had seen a god in corporeal form. The way his hand had tightened on your arm. The change in him had been drastic - such a usually slow moving and calm figure suddenly filled with energy had been unsettling. Unsettling enough that your trust had wavered for a moment - enough for you to deny it.

The fact that he had come to find you and ask you again now only solidified your decision.

"I was only coming to you in a moment of insecurity in my faith." You said. "I'm sorry if I ended up giving you false hope - I should have made myself more clear." You kept your voice apologetic and even, furrowing your brows slightly to make it all the more believable.

For a moment, you were unsure if Anello would buy it. He pursed his lips, gaze turning back to the city skyline. He said nothing, simply sighing.

You dipped your head, clasping your hands in front of you. "I'm sorry, Anello."

Another moment passed.

"Nothing to apologize for, my child." Anello said finally, looking back to you. "It was only a misunderstanding - it is I that should apologize. It was wrong of me to get my hopes up as I did." He paused, smiling thinly. "I'll let you be on your way now."

You took your leave then, starting back down the stone path that would lead you away from Anoitos' temple and back toward you own quarters. Anello's smile danced in your head though - you were sure this wasn't going to be the end of it, no matter what he said.