THIRTY - 𝖯𝖴𝖱𝖯𝖮𝖲𝖤

Start from the beginning

"Hello," she held out her hand, making him only tense up.
"You're authorized to touch her," Klein nodded. She'd forgotten that was a rule.
Jamie took her fingers, surprised by her soft skin as she gingerly lifted their grip up and down
"You two will hopefully spend a long time together. He'll journey everywhere with you and such."
She ignored the speech, only focusing on the trembling child holding her hand.

Klein grinned, patting her back as if to urge her to engage in talk first.
"Take care of him," he demanded, leaving the two alone.
Y/N tilted her head at Jamie, who still stood as stiff as a board despite the authority leaving. He always looked alert, ready to hide and run at the sight of trouble.

Y/N bent down, making him flinch as she reached out. Lifting his arm, she slid the armband off, placing it on the desk.
"When we're alone, you don't have to wear this, okay?"
For the first time, his eyes lifted to her, youth soaring within them.
"But—"
He slapped his hand to his mouth, as if not wanting to debate.
"When we're alone, you and I are no different from one another."

He slowly lowered his fingers, attempting to find his voice.
"You're sure?" He asked as if it were a trick.
"I'm sure."
"I knew you were from the island, but I didn't know you—I hadn't imagined—!"
"Eldians are my people," she pulled out her chair, taking her favorite pen, "That will never change."
As she bent over a piece of paper, he slowly transversed across the floor to peak over her shoulder.
She chuckled at his confused face as he attempted to read her writing, making him lower down before popping back up.

His face gradually moved atop her shoulder where he stood on his toes to watch.
"Are you writing for an Island-devil?"
"Can you not call them that?"
"Okay!" He quickly agreed.
"But yes, I am. My former Commander."
He gasped, moving to stand beside her, "You were in the military?"
"Yes."
Jamie bit his lip, wishing for her to detail. He cupped his hand around her ear, whispering, "Have you seen a titan?"
"I've killed one."

She could feel herself smiling as he placed his hands over his mouth, quickly looking around the room as if a Marley official would pop out from behind the curtains.
"That's so cool."
She petted the top of his head, running her hands through his thick curls.
"I've never seen an Eldian with hair like this."
He cowered under her palm, his hands fiddling together and his eyes dipping down in shame.
"That's because they usually don't. All Eldians look the same, except for me."
"Why is that?"

His head moved lower, so much so she thought his neck would snap. Jamie squeezed his eyes shut, unsure what he was allowed to say.
"You can't tell anyone."
"I promise."
He stepped closer, speaking in a quiet voice, barely a whisper.
"My momma liked a Marleyan man. Everyone knows because I look different."

Y/N cupped his face with her cold hand, lifting him to meet her eyes again.
"Well," she said, "that means you look like me."
His eyes widened, glossy and shimmering. No Marleyan would ever say such a thing to him. They always cursed, denounced a screwup like him.
This woman, this angel, she erased the line in the sand.

She saw him smile for the first time and freedom bursting within his soul.
Pinching his cheek, Y/N asked, "do you wanna head out?"
"Where?"
"Somewhere fun. It'd be boring for you just to watch me write all day."
Jamie nodded with a grin.
"Sounds good to me!"
She'd forgotten of the simple pleasure of a walk. All her usual ones with Zeke or Reiner were interrupted by citizens, which took away from the normalcy of the act.

"Have they shown you the Marleyan salute?"
Jamie and Y/N swung hands as they walked.
"Not yet," she chuckled, "wasn't aware there was one."
Jamie beamed, quickly stopping and standing straight.
"It's like this!"
With one arm at his side, he raised his palm, trying to hide his smile.