"Today we meet"

ׂׂૢ་༘࿐ೢִֶ✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩₊˚ˑ༄ؘ˚₊· ͟͟͞➳❥

You were so tired. It was almost too much for you but you knew you had to keep going because of the words your mother told you.

"There will always be something sweet on the other side, mama..."

A one-shot story where a black woman looking for a sweet thing to soothe their heartache meets a man who yearns the feeling of safety.

Reader is referred to as a woman but uses gender neutral terms.

ie) "That woman is so pretty. I wonder where they're going."

happy reading <3
-koko

Another day you wait to pass. The slow ticks on the clock resting by your side, it  was a painful reminder of your misery. You're slowly starting to forget who you were, on the inside and out.

What are you fighting for?
Who are you fighting for?

You neatly stacked the soft hand towels placing them to your right just beneath the cupboard. The plush feeling against your finger tips made you feel something.

It had been too long since you've felt something.

Suddenly a ding was heard. You were familiar to the sound as it rang anytime a costumer would walk in. However, this felt different. The aura was warmer. The only warmth you recall was during summer as the blazing sun gently kissed your brown skin.

Your brain continued focused on those thoughts of summer, you nearly missed the man speaking in front of you.

"Excuse me?" The man said.

His tone wasn't distinguishable. There was a slight rasp that fell with the smoothness of his voice.

He didn't sound demanding, pushy or agitated. Your doe eyes were pushed back into reality as the man snapped his fingers.

"My apologies!" You quickly said with a slight quiver in your voice.

"That's all right. May I have some black tea with biscuits?"

Why was he asking. Certainly he knows this is a tea shop.

You quickly shook off your thoughts and answered him. "Of course sir, coming right up!"

You took note of where he sat. Placing himself in a bar stool where his body was angled perfectly to where he pointed at the crisp windows. He people watched. Observing the folk that tread along the sidewalks of the busy street.

You noted the dark blue pants that hugged his thighs and the white turtleneck top slightly cuffing at the neck.

It was a habit of yours to observe people. Looking into them more as a friend rather a costumer.

You lifted the hot pot and gently poured it over the deep red tea leaves. You watched as the water quickly transformed from clear to a gentle crimson tone. The flavour the leaves brought to the liquid always mesmerized you.

From time to time you think of the memories of your mother making tea. Whether it was for guests or a mid-day delight, the aroma filled the kitchen as she swayed her hips across the room collecting cups and spoons to place on a platter. She was certainly the reason you loved making tea.

The way tea leaves bloom as it soaks up the surrounding liquid, was similar to the way your deep skin soaks in the sun. Your skin rich with melanin always attracted the sun, even the way your hair grows toward the sun was beautiful enough. A smile crept on your face recalling family trips to the beach. Almost as if on cue, the sun brightly shone onto your skin, creating the reflection of white fabric onto your face.

Was it your mom talking to you? Surely only time will tell, but the words of your mother spoke in your ears.

"Mama, you're just too beautiful.."

He stopped people watching for a moment and began scanning the room. Majority of the shop was glass but one wall was a nutty brown colour with images scattered on the wall.

The wall had a mix of family portraits, drawings that seemed to be made by a six year old and a beautiful painting of a black woman, closely resembling the one he'd just spoke to.

As his eyes were still fixed on the artwork a gorgeous black woman appeared with his tea and biscuits.

He looked up awestruck of the features on their face. Skin that that looked blessed from the sun, doe eyes, a large slightly flat nose and glossed lips. He noticed their afro as it stood so softly. A coco butter scent trailing off them as they placed his order down on the high table.

"Here's your order, hope you enjoy!"

Even their voice was sweet sounding. He felt safe, Levi felt safe.