Chapter 10

"Louis boyo, long time not seen." I didn't even have to look him in the face to determine the smug grin only from his voice.

"Dewiat." I mumbled little enthusiastic and nodded in the same breath to Zayn and Gigi, who gave me apologetic looks.

I couldn't stand Dewiat. He was an arrogant asshole, physically superior to me... maybe visually, too. -With his blond, short curls, the hazel eyes and the defined upper body, the muscles of which could be recognized by his apparently carefully chosen shirt.

His good looks alone weren't my reason not to like him.

Rather, it was the defeat in our continual competition that I still hadn't come to terms with, let alone wanted to.

-

When Dewiat switched to our school two years ago, he had immediately drawn everyone's attention. At first, I didn't care about that strange guy who had all the popular people around him. I was happy with my life as it was. I didn't have masses of friends, but the ones I had were forever. -At least that's what I thought in the beginning.

However, it had taken terrifyingly little time before my best friend back then, Eleanor, started hanging out with him and spending less time with me. At our rare meetings, she only talked about Dewiat.

That must have been pretty much the time I developed this deep hatred.

I had absolutely adored El. Maybe it has been more than just that friendship kind of love.

There was a time, we were only seen in pairs, hanging out every afternoon, having sleepovers, sharing popcorn and nachos and even my jacket, so it was all the more painful when I found out from Gigi that Eleanor and Dewiat were dating each other.

And no sooner had I heard of this for me so God damn shocking news than I received a message from Eleanor that broke my heart into a thousand pieces.

Hey Louis, I heard you know about me and Dew ... Sorry I didn't tell you myself. Now that I'm on the verge of getting into a steady relationship, I'd like to limit our contact, if necessary, also to discontinue it.

-There are reasons for it and I know you will understand. Love you and thank you for everything, El

I had never understood it. I never wanted to understand her decision. I didn't want to realize, didn't want to admit, that I had lost her. And that in times when I needed her so badly.

-

"Look who we got there?" Dewiat asked in an acted sweet voice, more to himself than to anyone in particular.

He pulled my me a little to the side and pushed past me.

I knew that Harry, in all his shyness, was hiding behind my back.

Although you couldn't necessarily call it hiding because he was a bit taller, so probably pretty obviously behind me. It was his need to be protected. -I couldn't give him this protection at the moment.

Harry had bowed his head and was staring at the floor.

Dewiat's predatory demeanour had made him even more insecure than he already was.

"Tell me your name, puppy." He demanded, dangerously calm.

The young boy swallowed noisily, but did not say a word.

Dewiat shook his head slowly and looked at me. "What is that? Did you cut his vocal cords? Is he your new boyfriend? Would he be too loud otherwise?"

He laughed at his innuendo like if he just told the joke of a century.

Before I could answer his questions, I had to watch Dewiat lift the petite boy's chin with his hand. He held the chin with his thumb and forefinger and it looked like he could have broken it with one hand with the least amount of force.

"I asked you a question. Answer."

Grinning, he caught Harry's frightened look in my direction.

"You still have to educate the little one, eh Louis?" Dewiat asked me, eyeing Harry's face from all sides, from every angle.

"He's handsome. Innocent. Certainly, still untouched. You haven't lost your virginity yet, have you, nameless deer? Louis, did not even know you were gay, but you should hurry up, your time is..."

It was enough. I saw how the boy with the angel hair stood close to tears and, embarrassed, avoided all looks. I was also worried about the sentence Dewiat had started. -I had to stop it.

"Shut up, Dewiat. Don't you see how you're intimidating him? Find victims at your age." I intervened.

To my own surprise, the muscular young man let go of Harry.

"Are you defending your little pleasure boy now? Can't he do it himself?" Dewiat took a step towards me and seemed to be lashing out with his fist when Zayn cleared his throat.

"Enough now guys, you're not twelve anymore. Dew, better you leave now... Greet El."

I was so grateful to Zayn for his commitment. He wasn't a thug, but everyone knew he could if he wanted to. Zayn was more of the quiet, peace-loving observer who knew when to intervene and others had respect for him.

Dewiat, too. This nodded as a reaction and withdrew quite quickly.

I watched him go for a while, my body tense, before someone nudged me gently.

Zayn had brought me out of my freeze and glanced at Harry, who was huddled next to Gigi on a wall.

Gigi had put her arm around his slim torso and caressed his arm soothingly.

Alarmed, I crouched in front of him and brushed the hair that had fallen forward from his face. I nodded my thanks to Gigi as she got up to make room for me next to Harry.

"I'm really sorry about that...him." I whispered close to his ear. Burying my nose in his soft hair, inhaling his pure scent, I let my fingers shyly tangle with his.

Zayn and Gigi had already walked into the school building, and even if I would have loved to sit next to the wall, cuddled up against the delicate body of the curly haired, we too had to go to class.

"I promise it won't happen again, Haz. See you after school, will you?" I asked quietly as we parted in the hallway to walk in opposite directions to our classrooms.

He nodded. "See you, Lou."

--

I stood leaning against the building wall. My backpack hung casually over my left shoulder and I looked at my fingernails.

I had just waved goodbye to Niall when I saw Harry walking up.

"Hey-hey, how was it?" I asked, smiling, pulling him into a hug.

"Lonely ... I wish you were there." Longingly, he snuggled closer to me.

I smiled at his cute behaviour and heard a notification tone on a cell phone

"Was that yours? He breathed an annoyed "yes" and reluctantly broke away from my grip. He looked briefly at the display, but then put the cell phone back in his pocket.

I didn't ask any further questions, after all it was none of my business. We walked down the street side by side, without a word.

"Louis?" he asked at some point. "Have you ever lived in something like this?" He asked, pointing to an expansive-looking apartment building.

Truthfully, I said no. He said nothing to that.

"Why are you asking Hazza?"

"My mother asked if I would like to introduce her to my new buddy over lunch. You know we don't have a lot of money. I mean, enough to make ends meet, but ... "

He looked at me dejectedly, apparently waiting for rejection.

"I would love to get to know your mother." I replied, simply leaving out the subject of the apartment, which was apparently so uncomfortable for him for no reason.