Chapter Six: Oath of Allegiance

The smoke from my cigarette filled the cabin of my '38 Ford as I was headed into town. Saturday, the day I had to go to the USCIS field office to be interviewed by the officers of the Army and Navy. To say I was nervous was an understatement. The gears of the '38 Ford whined as my tires met the bridge overhanging Little Rock. The sun shined among the river front that morning, emitting vast rainbows all around. My radio began to fade to static, my favorite stations wouldn't pick up this far out. I reached over to turn the radio off. The seams of the concrete bridge passed under my tires, making a distinct bump every time one was passed over. I looked up and saw the fresh new exit sign reading: "USCIS FIELD OFFICES, EXIT 65. I turned on my right blinker and the car slowly made its way onto the exit ramp. I came to a stop at a traffic light, red of course. While sitting there, I thought about Sarah. Her beautiful smile, red hair, and the way her body felt in my hands. My hands began to sweat at the thought, my head began to tingle. My thoughts were interrupted by an abrupt honk of a horn behind me. I quickly sped off into downtown.
As I passed under the bridge, what seemed like a swarm of people were in the midst of town. From people working, to people eating, reading the paper, and walking their dogs. I had been to the city before, once before when mother had to apply for financial aid after daddy died. Unfortunately I didn't remember much about it. A taxi cab passed by me as I turned left onto Hope Street. There was a long line of cars outside of the office, I decided to park at a nearby adjacent parking lot. I killed out the Ford and grabbed my papers. I hopped over the guard rail fence of the parking lot and walked up to the doors.
As I entered the building, the sound of typewriters, phone bells, and footsteps flooded the room. I had never seen a building so beautiful, so large, and so professional in all of my life. I looked around and found the line. I walked up to get in line and noticed another young man turning back and looking at me. Not knowing who he was I simply smiled and waved, while the humid air blew past us. The guy kept staring, while chewing his bubble gum.
I finally looked at him and asked: "Do I know you?" He grinned real big and chuckled. "No, just glad to know I ain't the shortest one here no more." I looked at him and laughed. "You're a funny guy." I said while smiling. The young man reached his hand out. "I'm charley" he said. I shook his hand happily. "Names Everett." He nodded. "Nice to meet you!"
He scoffed. "Man these lines are so long." I nodded, agreeing with him. He looked at me in a puzzled manner. "Was your drafted?" He asked. "Yes I was. Unfortunately." I replied. He chuckled. "Well I was put in jail for stealin'. They give me the choice, either rot in jail, or join the army." I looked at him in shock. "What did you steal?" I asked. The guy scratched his neck nervously. "I uh, stole a radio. Almost got away with it too. But my car broke down on my way outta town and they caught me." I looked at him with sympathy. "Well I'm sorry to hear that, but it was illegal. He let out a hearty laugh that shook the whole building. As people looked up from their work he replied: "Well no shit! I knew that!" I laughed with him, and as he turned around I had a look of relief on my face.
What felt like eternity finally passed, and I was next in line. I was hoping to get to go into the army. Charley let out a yell as the officers gave him his branch assignment. "Air Force!" He screamed out. "I'll be a shootin' them Japs down faster than you can count!" The officer stood up and raised his voice with authority. "Sir get out of here!" Charley ducked his head and ran out of the door. I turned back to face the officers as they called me up. Once again, what seemed like an eternity later, I was asked what branch I wanted. I cleared my throat. "Well, sir, I was hoping for Army. My dad was in the Army as well." The officer shook his head. "I see son, well, it looks like that's what you'll be." He cleared his throat and put down his pen. "Once we're done processing you, you'll head straight to the reception center, after taking the oath of allegiance. I nodded and got up.
Once we all processed, we stood next to each other, with our right hand placed up in front of us.
An officer walked up behind a podium in front of all of us, clearing his throat, and dusting off his uniform. He stood with his right hand raised in front of us. "You will repeat after me." He said. We all were at attention and ready. As we all stood there, repeating that oath, we all said it, but did we know what it meant? I often think back to this day, thinking how much that oath meant not only to me, but my mother, Sarah, to all of the innocent children, and how much it meant to my father. We were all just kids, but that was soon subject to change, for that the integrity of a boy, welcomes a man.
The echos of footsteps filled the office as we walked out of the doors. As my eyes adjusted to the light, there she was. Sarah was waiting by my ruby red '38 Ford Sedan. She had taken a bus downtown to take me to the bus yard. I waded my way through a sea of people, my eyes fixed on Sarah. I hopped the railing and gave her a wink. She looked at me and smiled white biting her lip. "You look handsome in that fancy suit." She said. I turned red as she climbed into the passenger seat. As I opened the door, the smell of cloth and vinyl rushed into my nose, followed by the smell of Sarah's perfume. As I climbed in and shut the door, Sarah looked at me. "So, all sworn in now?" I looked at her and laughed. "Yes ma'am, I'm officially in the Army." She cocked her head sideways and had a look of pride on her face. "Your father would be so proud of you." I smiled and kissed her cheek. The old Ford cranked to life as she began our journey down the road.
          The '38 Ford made it's way through town. I had never seen the town so full of people. Sarah made her way through the crowd of cars and pulled the brake. I sat there, staring down at my feet. Sarah looked at me, with a depressed face. I looked back at her, and smiled, knowing how much she meant to me. "Sarah" I said as I cleared my throat. "These past few days have been amazing, and it may sound crazy the way I'm saying this, but I-I love you Sarah." Sarah began to tear up. I continued. "You're all I ever think about, you're all I ever hear, all I ever see, and touch. When I sleep I think of you. And I don't want that to be temporary." I sniffled as I continued. "When I get back, I will make you my wife, if you'll have me." Sarah turned red and smiled. "I love you too Everett! I look forward to that day!" She sniffled as she pulled out a picture. "I wanted you to have this Everett." As I unfolded my hand, I noticed it was a picture of her. "It's a little old, but my hairs still curly!" She said. I smiled and put it into my pocket. I love it Sarah." I said, trying not to get choked up. I looked at the busses, men were yelling and instructing hundreds of clueless teenagers. I turned back to Sarah. "I love you, and I will write to you every day." "I love you too Everett. Stay safe." I eased the door closed on the sedan. "I will! I promise!" I waved at her as I slowly walked away from the truck. I looked back one last time to see her. Sarah's face was red with sorrow as she shifted the sedan into reverse. As she drove away I blew her a kiss, and she smiled and caught it.
"You there!" A voice startled me from behind. I turned around to see a rather tall man, who did not look entertained. "Yes sir?" I responded while regaining my composure. He handed me a blank slip of paper and a pencil. "Write down your name. Last name first, first name, then middle name last. "Yes sir." I said as I found a surface to write on. Once my name was on the paper, I handed it back to the man. The hot summer sun gleamed down on us as we crowded into the bus lot. The doors to bus 104 squealed open. "Climb aboard ladies!" A leather tan man yelled. I made my way through the hall of the bus into one of the empty seats. As I sat there, the morning heat filled the bus, along with the voices of men I'd never met before. As I stared out the window, I noticed Garry's Chevrolet sedan fly into the parking lot. He slammed the door and trotted up to the man who had the name forms. He wrote his name in a fast manner and ran towards the busses. He caught a glance of me and walked up to the doors. "What in the hell do you think you're waiting on?!" The driver asked while screaming. Garry's face went white. "I'm sorry sir I was a little late, but I'm here now!" He said as he was fighting to catch his breath. "I don't care if you're mentally ill! Get your ass in a seat!" The driver screamed. "Yes sir!" Garry replied as he walked towards me. He sat down, trying desperately to catch his breath. "I was a little late there Everett." He said while huffing still. I scratched my nose and looked at him. "Just a little bit huh?" I said in a smart tone. He relied: "Well the good news is I finally got me some! That's why I was late!" I laughed at him while trying to keep my composure. "Who the hell slept with you?" He took a deep breath. "John foresters sister!" I looked at him in shock. "Man come on, she's at least an adult, right?" Garry's face went pale. "I sure hope so!" As I laughed, the man with the name slips boarded the bus. "Alright ladies! Listen for your name!" The man began to call out names, I of course, was only thinking about one thing, Sarah. I imagined a life where I didn't have to leave home. Where I would have stayed in town, had a little shop, and made my living, all while being by Sarah's side the whole way. A guy who didn't get drafted then didn't realize how fortunate they were. To go to a completely different country, while your life is on hold in another. It was hard to think what Sarah would do while I was gone. Would she find another man? Would she move on? Would mother die of an illness? Would Ernest finally get kicked by a mule to death? I didn't know. VonDyke! Are you Deaf or what?!" I stuttered and spoke up. "Present sir!" The man shook his head and continued calling names. Once the roll was taken, the bus roared to life, and the doors closed. Garry pulled out a cigarette and lit it. "Nothing like a road trip there Everett!" I scoffed. "Yeah, sure."
The bus ride was long, long enough to bring back memories, and thoughts no one wanted to think. We arrived at the next bus station that afternoon in Memphis Tennessee. The bus came to a halt as the driver put on the parking brake. "Alright ladies! You're to get on bus 437. Get moving." We all walked out of the bus like a heard of cattle. The sour smell of the hot river filled the air. I had never been outside of Arkansas, not even outside of Little Rock. My eyes paced left and right until I found the correct bus. Garry followed behind me, clueless as to what was going on. As we boarded the bus, the driver was impatient, ordering us to move fast.
     The bus ride wasn't as long this time, only a couple more hours until Camp Shelby. Garry was nervously tapping the seat in front of him. I was nervous too. The evening air left a pit in my stomach, I was missing Sarah bad. I pulled her picture out of my pocket. I admired her smile for a long time, not giving the outside world a thought. I turned the picture over to reveal a note she had written. It read: Everett, no matter how long it takes, I will wait for you. I'm ready for one day soon to be in your arms again. Love, your Sarah. I smiled, man did that make all my anxiety go away. I pulled out a cigarette and lit it as Garry was snoring next to me. I toked on the cigarette as hard as I could.
          The bus eased into the gates of Camp Shelby as the evening sun was setting. The bus came to a jolt, waking Garry, and many others. The doors swung open, and the driver began so speak. "Listen up ladies! You are to exit the bus and join the line. Welcome to the Army, you'll be standing in lines a lot. Let's move!" Garry and I grabbed our bags and waded our way out of the bus. The bright evening sun cast its rays upon the bus, blinding us as we walked to the line. As we approached the line, they were ordering us instantly. A very tall man, wearing his uniform ordered us to form a new line in front of the one behind us. "Yes that's it, cover the man behind you come on. You move to the left a little, you to the right." He said as he directed us to position ourselves. Once he finished, he backed up to where we all could see him. "At ease!" Almost everyone around me sighed and let their stance fall, we were all inexperienced and slightly scared. The man continued. "You are at the reception center, you will be formed into rosters, each roster will indeed be given a number." He backed away and motioned another man beside him. "This is Sergeant Fayette. He will be your roster guide. If you have any questions, he will be able to help. Be sure to remember your number!" The man stepped away as Sergeant Fayette took the floor. The humid evening air filled my lungs as I did my best to pay attention. It wasn't easy being this far from home, but Mississippi didn't feel any less hot than Arkansas. Sergeant Fayette cleared his throat and began to speak. "Men, you'll be at this reception center for roughly five days. After that time, you'll be sent to some of the camps for your basic training. You will not know where you are going until you get on the train. Keep your eyes and ears open, learn to do things the army way, and you'll get long just fine." After the speech, we were taught how to count as we marched, and marched directly to the infirmary for more physical check ups. The sun was setting little by little each minute, as we went though our first day.
       After we left the infirmary, we were fitted for our uniforms. The room was full of soldiers, having handed their uniforms and rushing out. The process was very quick, yet very neat. The constant sounds of hangers clanking filled the small room, along with voices of men from many different places. "Step up!" The man said to me as I was next in line. I stood there as he took his measurements of my waist, arms, and legs. "Last name?" The man said. "VonDyke." I answered. The man turned around to the counter, parallel to the wall I was against and shouted: "VonDyke, Pants, 34 waist, 32 length. Shirt and coat, 39L!" I was handed my items and I dressed into them quickly. Once I was dressed, I walked outside, another sergeant was standing next to the building, showing each of us how to wear our hats properly in height. Once that was out of the way, we were fingerprinted. Line after line was most of what that afternoon consisted of.
          I was now a G.I. Joe. I felt a sense of pride, as if my father would be proud of me. I know Sarah was. Even though I couldn't call her, I felt she knew I was thinking about her constantly. We marched to the barracks to get some sleep. We were taught how to fold our beds. "If you sleep in it, you take care of it." Sergeant Fayette said as he instructed us how to do it. Once that was over, Garry came rushing over to me, blowing past three other privates to get to me. "Everett!" He said. "Boy I been looking for you all day! Hell of a day huh?" I chuckled as I went through my belongings. "Yes, one hell of a day Garry." As I pulled out my belongings, one of dads letters fell onto the bed. I flipped the envelope over, it read: "To my son, if he ever may he drafted into the Army." I had no idea he'd ever written a letter to me, or how mother snuck it in my bag, but I would find out later.  "Alright ladies! Lights out!" Sergeant Fayette yelled as he hit the switch. All of the privates scurried to their bunks and got under their covers. I lay there, not a word out of anyone, not even Gary. The soft rays of light came through the shutters from the street lamps outside. It was so quiet in that room, you could have heard a fly take off one hundred feet away from you. I reached into my pocket, and pulled out Sarah's picture. I held it there, in my hand as I rolled over to try and sleep. I clutched the picture tight, then put it back up into my pocket.