folklore and nfr

₊ ° · ༄

before i give my opinion, i want to say that i'm not trying to bash taylor

before i give my opinion, i want to say that i'm not trying to bash taylor. i genuinely enjoy her music. only trying to highlight the music industry's biases/unfairness.

okay so in 2020, norman fucking rockwell by lana del rey was snubbed for album of the year despite lana clearly being one of the best lyricists of our time.

her storytelling is poetic and raw, and she's not afraid to write about touchy/sensitive topics such as domestic, mental, and substance abuse. the authenticity that went into that album is undeniable.

but she lost to billi eilish's when we all fall asleep where do we go? -- which isn't a bad alternative to norman fucking rockwell, but billie only just recently became mainstream at that point.

but what i find really amusing is that taylor swift's folklore won that same award this year when she worked with jack antonoff (songwriter) who also worked with lana on norman fucking rockwell!

and here's my hot take, folklore is just a mainstream/pop version of norman fucking rockwell! now i'm not going to deny taylor's talent and good songwriting, it's a cool concept album with this love triangle she created.

but lana has had this songwriting style since forever, and taylor herself has confessed that lana has inspired her work numerous times. so how does folklore win this award but not norman fucking rockwell???

it's not a secret the grammys plays favorites, but it just angers me that lana has been snubbed numerous times for the recognition she deserves.

again, i love both albums -- and no hate to taylor whatsoever.

₊ ° · ༄

8/8/21
-rosie XoXo