A Day In The Kangaroo Court Pt. 1

Your Pov:

I got out of bed and rushed to my closet before realizing that Apollo was still on the line, "I'm on my way! Don't worry!" I quickly got dressed and fixed my hair before rushing out the door. Apollo had all the case files, so I didn't have to grab anything. Thankfully, I was able to flag down a taxi. I hopped inside and turned to the driver.

"To the courthouse, please!"

The driver nodded and started to drive. I arrived after 30 minutes and payed the driver before heading into the courthouse. Inside, I found Apollo and Trucy waiting in the defendant's lobby. I quickly approached them.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I overslept..."

Trucy smiled at me, "It's ok. I think I reassured Polly enough." Apollo turned to me, "Huh...Mr. Wright's not here today?" I tilted my head, "Phoenix told you he'd be here?" Trucy spoke up, "He said his old foot injury was acting up." I stifled an eye roll. Apollo huffed, "Old injury...!? He was all smiles yesterday!" Trucy smiled sheepishly, "Yes, he smiled when he said we'd be fine 'as long as you're there, Trucy'."

Apollo hesitated for a moment before speaking. "Yes... Fine...We'll be fine. Here comes Justice!!! I started my voice training at 5 this morning." I sighed, "I hope you'll still have a voice by the time the trial starts." Trucy grinned. "Oooh! Do some now! I want to see! ...Er, hear!" Apollo scratched the back of his neck.

"Huh? Oh, OK. ...Ahem. My name is Apollo Justice, and I'm fine!!!"

Trucy winced slightly, "...That sounds more like a self-mantra than voice training."

We all jumped as a familiar voice came from behind us.

"...I'm fine! I'm fine! You know what I'm saying!?"

Our client stood there with his hands in his pockets. He was acting like the typical boy, all rough and tough until you hit them with actual consequences. Apollo hesitated.

"Ack! G-Good morning!"

I shot Apollo a glance before looking back at our client. Wocky Kitaki was definitely one of the weirder clients.

"Yo, 'sup. Hit me with the guilty verdict, G! See if I care. You just hang loose and let things go with the flow. You know what I'm saying!?"

I pinched the bridge of my nose. This boy was starting to get on my nerves a little. Apollo looked at me before looking back at our client.

"Uh, not really."

Another familiar voice came from behind Wocky. We all tensed.

"Wocky! Don't be running your mouth like that in here!" Our client turned to his father, scoffing. "See, that's the difference between me and you, old man. I ain't afraid of no cops. Real G's can't keep it real till they spend some hard time in the pen."

I sighed, thinking to myself.

'This kid needs to put on an episode of Beyond Scared Straight...'

Big Wins Kitaki looked at his son disapprovingly. "You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about."

Trucy turned to the two of us, her voice low.

"Sounds like they've both been voice training too."

I looked at Apollo, "Are you ready? The trial's going to begin soon. Do we need to go over the case?" Apollo shook his head, "I think I've got it. Do you need to review?" I rolled my eyes.  "I was up all night reviewing this case. I'm fine."

Just then, the bailiff entered the lobby.

"Defense, you may enter the courtroom."

I followed behind Apollo as Trucy followed behind us. We reached the bench and I looked across the room. Klavier stood at the opposite bench. He was snapping his fingers to a rhythm he had in his head. We all watched silently as the judge entered.

"Court is now in session for the trial of Wocky Kitaki."