~65~ Early morning memory

Start from the beginning

"Well...I hate to be a bother, but I...was wondering if maybe I could go outside for some fresh air? Even just for a few minutes." I respond with a timid tone, my fingers pinching the silky material between them as Benedict glances over my shoulder, his gaze watching the inside of my room before he speaks up.

"It's a bit chilly outside. Wouldn't you rather just use your window?" His deep voice questions and my expression softens - flashing him a more sad, pouting, and almost unimpressed look in response - to which the blonde male chuckles in some sense of amusement to my childish action.
"Alright. We'll take you down, see what his majesty has to say."

"He's awake already?"
My soft spoken question was a surprise to me, and as Sean nods I couldn't help but feel a sense of lingering guilt slip back into focus.

"Has been for a while." The upbeat male answers and Benedict lifts his hand, gesturing to the vacant hall as I nod.

~~~

"...but foremost we need to finish booking the church, making preparations for-"
Samuel's clear, outspoken voice was the first thing I heard as the door to the throne room was opened - catching only a small fraction of his now dying conversation and I nod at Benedict in silent thanks before walking through the door and into the elegant room.

Their eyes fell upon me within moments - I hoped because of the sound the doors had made when they were opened - and I wanted to look up, to ask many questions that never broke my silence.

"Sweetheart?"
His voice was as clear as the clicking of his heels, both descending down the stairs and a warm hand on my back helped to guide me forward.
"You're up awfully early." The king speaks up and I lift my gaze as he stops in front of me, his careful hand finding my shoulder and the almost sympathetic etchings in his eyes told me many things.

His usual, bright red attire was no longer making his eyes glimmer a brilliant blue - his frame now dressed in a more simple, tan hued outfit.
His white dress shirt was covered with a slim fitting vest adorned with dark golden, almost copper colored buttons, the cuffs of his sleeves thick and the coat tails falling to his knees - both having the same shiny buttons lining the trim and just under the pockets near his hips.

And yet, even now his eyes still seemed delicate - a natural beauty that was rarely found and hardly ever challenged in this world.

Breathtaking. That's still how I could easily describe them.

I exhale, knowing I could say the same to him - to most of the people in the room.

Weren't they up awfully early as well?

"I just...couldn't sleep." I find my voice after a moment, suddenly finding myself at a standstill of sorts.

"Is everything alright?" George asks and my cheeks felt like a dead fire barely hanging on to warmth.

"I have...a few things on my mind. But yes, I'm fine." My tone was half-hearted.

"Her highness was wondering if she could go out for some fresh air." Sean speaks up, nodding his head towards his general after Warner stopped by the king and George turns his expression into a calm smile.

"Did you?" He asks.

"I...I could just use my window." I mumble - suddenly feeling more shy - and earning a small chuckle from the two soldiers behind me.
George shakes his head.

"I see no harm in it. Fresh air could do us all some good."
His hand leaves my shoulder feeling bare and suddenly cold - gesturing towards the room's entrance as my hands shift across the embroidery.