xv. not a perfect soldier

Start from the beginning

Before she could even make it all the way to the parking lot, Steve ran out of the car and into her arms. The two blondes embraced for the first time in what felt like forever, laughing as they stumbled along the staircase.

"Hang on, hang on," Lucy told Steve. "Let me look at you."

He obliged, standing as tall as he could so that she could scan him for any injuries or changes. The army uniform was a bit too big for his figure, even though it was the smallest size available.

"Look at you. I think your biceps got bigger," she teased him.

Steve's face turned red, brighter than any shade Lucy had seen before. "Luce." He subtly tilted his head to the side, making Lucy finally notice the woman standing off to the side.

"Hello," the British woman greeted her. "You must be Miss Everhart."

Lucy stepped forward, smiling at the brunette SSR agent. "I am. You can call me Lucy." She hated when people called her by her last name, especially after finding out that she wasn't truly an Everhart.

The woman's red lips twisted up into a smile. "It is very nice to meet you, Lucy. My name is Agent Carter but you can call me Peggy."

Lucy snuck a look at Steve, trying to hide her smile when she realized that this was the Agent Carter he wrote about. She could only hope that Peggy also saw the golden heart that Dr. Erskine must have seen.

"Nice to meet you too, Peggy." The agent who was driving opened the passenger side door for Lucy as the other two got into the back. The only information that she had gotten beforehand was that they were driving to a lab in Brooklyn. Nothing more.

The whole thing was so secretive and Lucy loved it.

They drove for a while in silence until Steve let out a hum of recognition. "I know this neighborhood." He pointed out of the window. "I got beat up in that alley... and that parking lot... and behind that diner. Remember, Luce?"

Lucy craned her head back to him with a scoff. "Remember? Steve, how could I forget? Bucky and I took turns saving your ass every time."

"Yeah, yeah," Steve said with a grimace. They really did save his ass every time.

Peggy chuckled, her eyes flickering between the two. "Did you have something against running away?"

Steve shook his head. "You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, you push back. They can't say no forever, right?"

Lucy smiled to herself at Steve's words. That was the exact attitude that he had ever since she met him. Especially with the war, he kept trying. And eventually, he got that yes that he was looking for.

Nodding in understanding, Peggy sighed. "I know a little of what that's like, to have every door shut in your face. And I am sure Lucy does too."

"Of course," Lucy agreed. "People are so ignorant to think that women aren't as capable as men. We're just as, if not more, capable of everything that they can do."

Peggy stared at Lucy in pure admiration. "We are going to be good friends, I can tell you that. Us women have to stick together, especially with being around men all of the time."

"Yes, please. I live with two men so this will be a refreshing change."

"I get that but I guess I just don't know why you'd want to join the Army if you were a beautiful dame. Or a beautiful... A woman. An agent, not a dame. You are beautiful, but..." Steve trailed off, kicking himself for even opening his mouth.