chapter 13 - i'm done pretending i want anyone else

Start from the beginning

Nini tried to remember Friday night. Of course. EJ and her were role playing, preparing for his lunch with Gina. "Ricky, I think- "

"It's okay, Neens." Ricky cut her off, "I get it. He looks smart and kind, probably gives you butterflies. He's probably going to be a better boyfriend than me."

"Ricky-," Nini tried again. She wanted to explain that he's got it all wrong, and that all she ever wanted was him. But he interrupted her again.

"Will you forgive me, Neens? Again." Ricky asked hopefully, "I promise I'll get used to it, and we can be friends again. It might be awkward but-"

NIni cut him off with her lips. He kept rambling on and on about just being friends, but Nini definitely didn't want to be friends with Ricky. But he just wouldn't shut up, so she kissed him. She had missed the feeling of his soft lips on hers, it made her heart flutter, and her head dizzy. When they pulled apart, Ricky was basically speechless, so now it was her turn to talk.

Nini cleared her throat.

"I'm not seeing anyone, Ricky." She could see that he was about to object, so she put her hands up, and explained. "That night at my apartment, I was helping my friend EJ practices for a date. I haven't thought about anyone but you in four months, and I haven't thought of anyone but you since you asked me out in college 8 years ago."

Ricky's eyes lit up and he beamed at her like a little child. "Really? So all that stuff you said to him, you didn't mean it?"

Nini nodded furiously. EJ was a great guy, but they were just friends.

"I guess I'm an idiot, huh?" Ricky said scratching his head "I'm so sorry."

Nini as always was quick to forgive and always gave people the benefit of the doubt.

"It's okay. I'm sorry too."

Ricky shook his head, "Nope. Don't do that. You have a habit of apologizing for things that are not your fault. This was all me, Neens."

Nini wanted to protest but Ricky wasn't having it.

"Look, I wanna ask you out, and I want us to go on a proper date. I know we have history, but I wasn't this to be like a fresh start. I want a chance to prove it to you, because I've always believed in us. We're endgame. So.." Ricky pulled them both up on their feet, "Nini, I really like you. Will you go to dinner with me tomorrow?"

Nini didn't know why she was blushing, she'd gone on a million dates with this man, but it really felt like the start of something new and she was here for it.

"Yes." Nini said, "But you owe me Mexican food."

He chuckled and pulled her into a hug.

______

On Monday Night, Ricky showed up outside the Figment office building with a bouquet of roses, and two cups of hot chocolate. He had a goofy smile on his face, which made Nini suspicious. But when she prompted him, he wouldn't tell her what he had up his sleeves, he simply said that there's something they need to do before dinner.

They got off the subway and walked until they were at Brooklyn Bridge Park. He took her hand and led the way.

"So, you know how I tried to teach you how to skateboard like years ago?" Ricky asked. "Well, I thought we could sort of do something similar."

Nini didn't like where this was going. She remembered that day, she was terrible at it, and she fell on her bum at least 6 times that day. She never got on another skateboard after that. The only reason she ended up enjoying that day was because Ricky took her out for ice cream afterwards, and they talked all night.

"I remember." Nini said unsurely. "No offense, but it wasn't the best memory."

Ricky laughed out loud and continued pulling her with him.

"We're here." He announced. They were at the Pier 2 Roller Rink. "So I know there's no way you would try the skateboard again, but I thought we could try roller skating?"

Nini looked at him skeptically. She's pretty sure she's going to fall on her ass again.

"In the spirit of a fresh start, I thought we could start off our date by learning something new. I don't know how to roller skate either, so we can learn together." Ricky said, sending her his most charming style to make sure she didn't reject his idea.

"I don't know, Ricky. You're like a skate rat, so it's not fair. I'm pretty sure you're going to do well, and I'm probably gonna die out there." Nini said dramatically.

"Skateboarding is totally different, Neens. I'm pretty sure I'll suck at this." Ricky said unconvincingly. "Also, we'll get Mexican food and ice cream later?"

"Now we're talking!" Nini pulled him inside to rent some skates. "Come on, you're already slowing me down, Bowen!"

_____

It turns out, Ricky did suck at roller skating, and Nini was not bad at all. She had to help him up a few times, but they mostly walked hand in hand around the rink. After about an hour, they were exhausted and ready for dinner. Ricky kept his word and took her to a Mexican restaurant.

Once they finished dinner, Ricky noticed that the brunette was deep in thought about something. Whenever she was sad or worried about something she would play with her fingers, her eyes would wander, and her leg would be shaking uncontrollably. It was a habit of hers that he'd become familiar with over the years.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Ricky said.

"You're leaving soon right?" Nini sighed.

"What?"

"You're going back to Salt Lake soon?"

"Right. Yeah. This Saturday actually." Ricky said sadly, "But I'll visit, I promise."

"Okay. But that means I only have a few more days with you."

Ricky took her hand in his. "I know. Let's make the most of it. Okay?"

"Okay." Nini said. "Ice cream?"

"Ice cream."
___________