prologue

"You want a selection?" Haidee asked with disbelief in her eyes as she gazed at her turning 21 son.

"Should I not?" Nicholas asked in return.

"Well, in normal circumstances, people in your shoes wouldn't want it," his mother argued.

"Listen to your mother, Nick," his uncle, Duke William Koskinen, said. "When your father was told to have one, he cried his heart out to me, saying he didn't want to leave his lover."

"He did?" Haidee asked. Hearing the name of his dearly beloved crying over her made a smile appear on her face.

Celestiana chuckled, "Oh yes, I remember. You wouldn't know but—"

"Lover?" Nicholas cut in, outraged at the fact that his father had a lover before his mother.

"Oh right, you didn't know," William laughed.

"Who is it?" Nicholas eyed his mother who had a hand over her mouth hiding a smile.

"Mom, did dad love someone else before you?" Tony, who was sitting beside Haidee looked at her with his questioning blue eyes.

"That I do not know," Haidee patted her son's hair comfortingly.

"Don't get angry, Nick," Celestiana told him, "his lover before the selection was your mother."

Nicholas was confused, how could that happen when his parents met at the selection? That's what his friends told him.

"It's a long story, dear," Haidee stated, "but the fact goes that we met before the selection ever happened."

"Why do you even want to hold one?" William asked.

"Maybe he wants a ton of girls fawning over him," Cecilia, William and Celestiana's first daughter remarked.

"Yeah, I saw him getting all happy when some of the girls outside the palace asked for his number," the second daughter of William and Celestiana, Wisteria, agreed.

"What?" Nicholas was surprised, he didn't know he was being watched, "I wasn't! Why are you making me a womanizer?"

"Because you are?" Cecilia replied giggled.

"I'm not! And I wanted a selection because I thought mother and father met at one!"

"Oh, so you wanted a true love story like your parents'?" William asked with a teasing smile, "I didn't know you were such a romantic."

Haidee laughed, "Don't tease him too much. Well anyway, now that you know we met before it, do you still want one?"

Nicholas scratched his nape, "Actually, the letters have already been sent. It's useless to tell them otherwise."

"Hey, do you want me to rig the selection process?" William asked, "you can pick the beauties you want."

Nicholas' face turned red in embarrassment, "I'm not that superficial!"

Haidee smiled, "Then I guess the selection will proceed?"

"I guess?" Nicholas sighed.

"Alright, then I'll prepare some tests for them. You'll help me, right sis?" Haidee asked Celestiana.

She nodded, "Of course, we'll make sure they're fit as Nicholas' bride."

"I'll help too!" Cecilia exclaimed, "I won't let some second-rate girl snatch my cousin."

"I have a few things in mind already, so I have to host a contest myself," Wisteria smiled in anticipation.

"Then I guess with this the family meeting is over?" William asked.

The others in the room nodded with various smiles. Some were genuine, some excited, and some were saying they would be having lots of fun with the girls.

Welcome to the Selection!