Chapter 64 ~ Usefulness

Start from the beginning

"Maybe in another life, I could've loved you," she said. Her hands clutched the back of his jacket. So tightly, that if he tried to step away he wouldn't be able to. "But in this life, you need someone who knows what love is."

'Someone like Grisa. You need someone utterly pure and incorruptible. You need her.'

Dylan thought Grisa was admired for her charm and personality. But she finally understood how wrong she was. What made her so remarkable was not the love she received, but the way she loved others.

"You're more than a useful tool," Dylan said. "Please remember that."

Dylan finally let go of his body as she stepped away from him. She met his eyes and flinched. Tears pooled in his blue eyes.

"You're going to do wonderful things, my sweet boy," she said. She reached out and took Laikin's face in her hand and wiped away his tears with her thumb. "Don't let anybody tell you what to do. Don't let anybody tell you how to live your life."

They were words her mother had once said to her. They had carved their way into her heart. And now she was sharing them with him.

He stared into her eyes for a long moment before he bent and gently kissed her forehead. "I love you, Dylan," he said.

She paused. "Thank you for loving me when I can't even love myself."

And then she was gone. She'd just left him alone in the garden.

***

"Cadence, have you been waiting long?"

He shook his head, and strands of brown hair fluttered in front of his eyes. He leaned against the wall and watched her. Even so, he looked handsome enough to make her heart flutter.

Cadence frowned, his eyes raking over her tear-stained face. He wanted to kill whoever did this to her.

"I'm fine," she said, noticing his serious expression. "Let's go back, okay?"

As they walked along they came across huge rosebushes of every colour possible. He picked a brilliant pink flower from a bush and smiled.

"What is it?" Dylan asked.

She etched the look on his face into her memory. She didn't want to forget his smile. She wanted to keep it with her forever.

"For you," he signed. He slipped the tiny pink flower into her hair behind her ear. "Beautiful."

'How do you manage to make me feel like this?'

Her heart felt as if it were going to burst from her chest. She needed him, oh God, how she needed him. And he needed her.

Dylan glanced up at the window to Edwin's bedroom as they walked. She still couldn't bring herself to face him.

'Tomorrow. I'll tell you everything tomorrow, grandpapa.'

When she reached her room, she immediately crawled into bed. She yawned, smuggling her head into the pillow.

"Can you stay with me tonight?" she asked softly, her voice a whisper. "I don't want to be alone right now."

Cadence looked into her big brown eyes and melted. When he thought of her request, he couldn't help but reveal an embarrassed reaction. But somehow he was reluctant to say no.

 But somehow he was reluctant to say no

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey readers! Starting today, I will be updating every 3-4 days. Also, character sketches for the webcomic have finally been done. Can't wait for you guys to see the prologue chapter.

Love,
Your Author