Chapter 62 ~ A Promising Deal

She gave into his kiss and suddenly the world felt right again.

***

"Cadence," she breathed against his lips. Even his name felt good in her mouth.

Reaching up, Dylan tangled her fingers in Cadence's hair, and pulled the hood of his cloak up over his head to help hide his face.

Raising her eyes, she saw a shape in a cloak standing at the end of the alley, staring at her. She was glad it was too dark to make anything out clearly. To Laikin, they would seem like nothing more than a man and woman getting physically intimate.

'There are several prostitutes here, so ​​it wouldn't seem abnormal.'

The figure moved a few steps toward them.

'Damn it, are we not convincing enough?'

Dylan pulled back, looking up into his eyes. "Please touch me," she whispered. "Don't stop touching me."

The words hung heavy between them, and the world around them seemed to slow down. Cadence pushed her back harder into the wall, then buried his face in her neck. He was afraid that if he touched her anymore, he wouldn't be able to control himself.

He kissed her neck gently, his hand sliding down to where her skirt had ridden up, pushing his hand up beneath the fabric. His hand continued under the material of her dress, up the soft skin of her thigh.

"More," she whispered, digging her nails into the material of his shirt. Her arms wrapped around him, her body quivered. "Please."

Dylan held onto his hard frame, tightening her legs around his hips as he continued to kiss her neck. She couldn't get caught. She couldn't let Laikin see her. She might find some excuse for hooking up with Cadence, but she would never be able to explain her presence here.

She glanced around for the cloaked figure, but it was nowhere to be seen.

'Did it work?'

Cadence followed her gaze to the other end of the alley. He sighed with disappointment. It was a pity the cloaked figure didn't stay longer.

Finally, he set her down gently on the ground. But he didn't loosen his grip on her. They stared into each other's eyes for a few seconds, both breathing heavily.

"Thank you," she mumbled, barely audible. Her face turned red with embarrassment.

'Thank you? Did I just say thank you?'

She glanced at him and he smiled—a smile that made her heart skip beats. Why was that? She couldn't deny that Cadence was a handsome man, but she reminded herself firmly again that she couldn't afford to have a romantic relationship with anyone. Not when she couldn't even understand her own emotions.

"I'm okay now," she said, stepping back from his embrace. "I need to find out what he's doing here."

They circled the building, peering in and trying the windows as they went along. However, their best efforts were futile. From outside, the building looked abandoned: crumbling stones, broken railings and old doors. It must've been made intentionally and in such a way to ward off people.

"Enough, let's not waste anymore time." She glanced one last time at the building. "How cumbersome."

'Laikin de Frederique, what are you up to?'

It's better if she doesn't know, Cadence thought, as they hurriedly walked away away. It was an Assassins' Guild, a place where people commissioned professional killers.