003. execution style

Start from the beginning

"Athena you're not gonna learn anything that—"

"Pope."

"Fine." The boy gave in.

The two friends continued to talk, until night had fallen and Athena was slightly buzzed. She had had a couple of beers but she knew her limits and the aftermath of getting drunk, including waking up with the worst headache in the world. The party was still in full momentum long after the sun had fallen and the moon had taken its place, plaguing the beach with a warm darkness.

As Athena was about to say something else, Sarah walked past them. The blonde quickly tapped her sister on the shoulder, Topper walking next to her.

"Hey Thens we're leaving." Sarah told the girl, who quickly scrambled to get up.

"Okay, um, bye Pope." Athena waved goodbye to the boy. Pope held a slightly confused look as Athena walked behind her sister.

The trio past JJ and John B. JJ Maybank was outerbank's resident troublemaker. He did what he want, when he wanted and he didn't care for the consequences. Athena was slightly confused on how he hadn't gotten arrested or something yet. Athena noticed John B reaching for the cup in JJ's hand when the boy got distracted and pulled his hand away.

"Hey, hey. Hey, Sarah! Athena!" He stopped the trio.

The unsuspecting girls slowed at the sound of their names being called and paused in front of the duo. Both Athena and Sarah were slightly confused but not in the least bit disgruntles by JJ's rambling, however Topper was less than interested.

"Can I interest either of you in a tasty Milwaukee beverage?" JJ asked gallantly.

Sarah faltered. "No, thank you."

"C'mon," JJ probed wolfishly. "Is it not fancy enough for you?"

"No. We were just leaving--" Sarah said politely.

"Hey, you know what?" Topper wedged himself into the conversation. "I'll take it. Thank you, man. I appreciate it."

He was clearly bored of JJ being a nuisance, though Athena couldn't tell if he honestly wanted the drink or if the smirk on his face was a patronising one.

"That's nice of you to suggest that, Topper, but I didn't ask you." JJ quipped complacently. "Now, if you said pretty please, maybe, but you didn't."

Instantly Topper's face contorted into a look of vexed anger. "Oh. Pretty please. Pretty please?"

"Yeah, so, Sarah, Athena, you can have it." JJ tried the girls once again.

"I'll take it." Athena nodded, knowing she didn't want the drink but would take it to avoid an argument.

"Here you go, Athena." JJ extended his arm with the cup towards her. Athena opened her mouth to thank the boy but Topper was already seething with rage.

Without warning, he swung his own hand forward and knocked the cup out of JJ's slackened grasp, causing its contents to spill all over JJ's front. "She doesn't want it, you—"

JJ looked stunned if only for a brief pause. Athena sighed. "Oh my god."

Then, JJ lunging forward, grasping hold of the collar of Topper's shirt and shoving him back roughly. Athena wasn't the only one who jumped at the sudden violent act, with Sarah gasping in panic and grabbing her twin's wrist to pull her back and John B swiftly intervening by stepping between JJ and Topper, speaking frantically.

"No, no, no—"

JJ staggered backwards from John B, hair a sopping wet mess from the remnants of beer. He snarled over in Topper's direction. "You're so funny, man!"