i. paradise on earth

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗
𝗣𝗜𝗟𝗢𝗧
season one, episode one, part one

❝𝐰𝐞'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞, 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞

❝𝐰𝐞'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞, 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞.❞

─── • ───

Nicholas Warren was about as local as they come, an island boy who practically lived for the freedom of summer vacation. He didn't care much for school, or work, or practically anything that didn't involve drinking on the beach in North Carolina. His life had spiralled downwards over the last nine months, but everyone had summed it up as a direct response to the failing marriage between his parents.

Although he'd never admit it to himself, Nick spent his time longing for the endless nights of summer, the marijuana induced highs, the sex with random strangers, the never-ending partying, and anything in between that might distract him from the harshness of his own reality.

In hindsight, the summer of his sophomore year was meant to be one of the longest benders he'd ever recover from, but the universe had other plans for him and his five friends, and it all began on the construction site of a half-built mansion on the rich side of the island, Figure 8...

─── • ───

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?" came the voice of the Cut's resident braniac, Pope Heyward, as he judged the height of the mansion from his place on the deck below. "I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival!"

On the roof, sitting with his legs swung over the edge, Nick watched the curve of the coastline change as the tide brushed up on the sand in the distance. Next to him, his best friend, John B. Routledge, balanced on one leg on the ridge of the mansion, with nothing but a beer can in his left hand.