But you became distracted, in one of the most beautiful ways.

It’s not as if you could keep this from happening, especially when he was in your sight 90% of the time at work. So you became attracted to the way that he spoke so kindly with everyone, or how he’d listen- even if what the other person had to say was incredibly boring.

It almost made you sick, thinking about how disgusting you were being. You had no right to glom onto another person like this without their permission; it was like that portion of your brain was switched off the moment he came through that trailer door humming “It’s Friday I’m in Love.”

And now?

Now it threatened to come crashing down on you.

Because he may be able to drop you like a hat, but there was no way in the world that you’d be able to let him go that easily.

“Tom. What are you saying?” You attempt to keep yourself steady- to show no sign of disappointment or the undeniable fear.

His arms wrap around your waist, before he buries your head underneath his chin. You hear crickets chirping, his soft breathing. You can feel his erratic heartbeat through his suit.

He’s quiet, and remains that way for what feels like hours, yet only stood out as a matter of seconds.

“I love you,” he whispers, and you wonder how he can say that so calmly when you know what he’s about to do. How he can even stand here, holding you, and say this when he’s about to-

You don’t even want to think about the inevitable.

“… And it’s killing me that we’re apart so much,” he continues, his grip tightening. You force yourself to hold on to this last time you’ll have him.

“I need you-“ He stops.

Like the epiphany of the meaning of life has dawned upon him, and he’s so shell-shocked that he doesn’t know what to say.

He straightens, and you see the look of pure wonder captivated in those gorgeous eyes. They’re staring right back into yours, wanting you to realize and come to terms with what he’d just thought up.

“It’s so simple,” he whispers, almost like it wasn’t meant for you to hear, “Completely elementary this entire time.”

You don’t say a word, instead focused on the odd words and his fingers around your waist.

“Joanna Elise McCallister,” he begins, tone louder, voice playful- you suddenly see that he’s isn’t leaving you.

That --in and of itself-- has you relieved beyond belief.

“Yes?” You manage.

“I could never imagine not spending a day with you, my love,” he grins and leans in to brush his nose against yours.

Your eyes drift closed, involuntarily, “Mmm?”        

His fingers drop from you, his breath leaves your face, the warmth disappears.

You silently pray that you’re not dreaming.

Slowly, reopening your eyes to see where he’d gotten off to, you see his curly head of hair bent low… on one knee.

That shaky right hand is now holding a velvet box and has never trembled so much. You know exactly what you have to do to make it stop.

“Joanna,” he swallows hard, eyes meeting yours, “Would you-“

Blurry vision, rapid heartbeat, chill bumps.

He’s so nervous.

His deep intake of breath, and then…

“Would you be my wife?”

You’re not sure if you can get a breath to answer him. Tears start spilling over and your smile beams through them, head nodding quickly before dropping to the ground and wrapping your arms around his neck to keep him there.

“Yes,” you squeak, pressing your lips to his and savoring how he tastes and how it won’t end.

He’s laughing, on the side of completely giggling, through his lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s later, after he’s driving you home, that you realize that you haven’t even thought about the ring he slipped onto your finger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Tell me what you thought! Feedback REALLY REALLY REALLY helps.