Part the Twenty-Fourth

Comenzar desde el principio

"I was just stating an eligible bachelor," I said with a shrug. "Not to mention he also has similar interests to you. Theology, patience—"

"Patience is not an interest, Magdelline," Audra laughed, setting her handkerchief down. "Besides I feel he's got half of the female congregation madly in love with him, though he has done nothing to rile it."

"Sometimes just being a gentleman can get any young lady eager for matrimony with the said man," I stated, gently. "Isn't being a gentleman quite the most respectable trait a man could have? He could be lacking in handsome features, but if his heart is good, that is what truly matters, is it not? I'd rather marry an ugly, gentleman than the most handsome man with a rotten heart. Beauty fades, doesn't it?"

"Those are very wise words, Magdelline," Audra said quietly. "I am a bit bewildered, though. I always knew you to be intelligent, but you rarely let such wise words come from your mouth."

"It's probably because wisdom and knowledge are two very different things, Audra."

"I see," Audra said before taking the new cup of tea from Ambrose. "Thank you."

"Can I have some sugar?" Little John asked out-of-the-blue.

"Of course," Audra and I said simultaneously causing us both to laugh.

I watched as Little John went overboard of the sugar. Not one or two, but five cubes of sugar in his half-finished tea. I knew I would have to talk to him about teatime etiquette as well as health, but my thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. A footman entered the room bowing to us.

"Miss Burns, I was told by Mrs. Burns to inform you that Mr. Nicolas Burns will be here shortly. His carriage has pulled into the stable."

"Oh, good!" Audra said, brightening up at the mention of her brother. "When he comes indoors, would you escort him in here?" My eyes widened as I realized if I wished to avoid Mr. Burns, I would have to get out and fast. As soon as the footman left, I finished my cup of tea, setting it down on the platter.

"I must be going, then," I said, standing up. "Come on, children, let's finish up." The children whined a bit, but promptly obeyed.

"Magdelline, you never cease to amaze me," Audra laughed, before walking over to me with a sincere look of concern on her face. "Whatever is wrong? You have never missed a chance to see Nicolas. I know you fought once, but you used to quarrel often when we were younger, I'm sure it will be fine."

"Audra," I said, lowering my voice as the children got ready to leave. "I happened upon Nicolas in London and I also was not the kindest, though I did not say anything cruel. Though my tone was not the most welcoming. And his— his reaction to me was very bitter. I do not think he wants to see me..."

"He did not mention meeting you in London," Audra said, a bit surprised at the news. "I understand why you do not want to see him, but do you think running away from the problem will fix it? In Nicolas's eyes, it will only prove you to be more guilty than you are—and we both know you are ready to move on and are truly apologetic."

"Oh, Audra, I do not think I can face him," I said, tears threatening to form in my eyes. "I fear I shall weep and he will think it a facade. Or worse, I'll snap or accidentally let another lie slip and make matters worse."

"Stop worrying, Magdelline, and trust the Lord," Audra said, getting a bold edge to her voice which snapped me from my wallowing. "I know that things will clear up. If not, I will give Nicolas reason and he will be the one crying." She then curled her hand into a fist with a look of determination on her face. It made me laugh.

"You truly know how to make me laugh," I said, chuckling as I took a deep breath. "I think I must face him."

"Good," Audra said before the door was flung open to reveal the footman from before along with the auburn-haired young man I had been trying to avoid for far too long.

"Audra, you'll never guess who I saw in London—" Nicolas started, taking off his hat before his eyes landed on me. His eyes darkened in recognition as his demeanor shifted. "Miss Forsythe."