Suddenly Alberto began to feel sick.

"It's been three years! What am I supposed to say? Do they even want to see me? Maybe I should wait at home.", he thought to himself in a panic.

What did you say to someone that used to be so close to you? To someone that became a cornerstone in your life, then disappeared? Would everything snap back to normal? Like nothing ever happened? Would they be strangers to each other?

Alberto's heart sank at the thought. And what about Giulia? Have her and Luca become so close they didn't need him anymore? It took all his mental strength not to run away from the steel train before him. His hands shook at his sides despite how hard he tried to hide it. Then a giant hand rested on his shoulder. Alberto looked up to see Massimo smiling down at him. Well, not down per se. Alberto had grown these past three years considerably and was nearly taller than Massimo.

"Calmati Alberto. They will be your friends just the same. You'll see."

Alberto nodded. Over the years, Massimo had become a father to Alberto in a way nobody else had. Not even his own father. He swore that sometimes the old fisherman could read his mind.

The train car rolled open, and all Alberto could see was a flash of bright red hair before it swept past him and jumped onto Massimo, nearly knocking him over.

"Papa! I missed you so much!"

Giulia clung to her father's neck, squealing with happiness. Massimo hugged his daughter tightly.

"Look, look!" She said, jumping so much her hair looked like it was dancing.

She pulled out a folded book revealing her graduation diploma.

"I did it, Papa! I finished!" She yelled over the clamor of the rain.

"I am so proud of you, Cucciolina. My little Giulietta is all grown up." He said, stepping back, his eyes watery.

Finally, she turned around to face Alberto.

"I didn't forget about you, big guy." She said, walking over to him and wrapping both arms around him.

Alberto smiled timidly, hugging her back. She had changed. Her curly red hair lay long down her back. Her frame had lost its childlike shape and now showed the fullness of womanhood. But... she was a woman now, Alberto thought. She was eighteen and freshly graduated from school. Alberto himself was nineteen, only a year older.

His heart gave a painful twinge as he realized things would not be going back to normal. They had all changed. They had left their childhood selves behind. Alberto only hoped he wouldn't be left behind too.

"Don't look so happy to see me." Giulia teased, punching Alberto in the shoulder. He hardly felt it.

"I am happy to see you, just a little... I don't know." He said, rubbing the back of his head.

"Well, it is the first time we get to see each other as brother and sister." She said, smirking. "Here is my official welcome to the family punch." She threw her fist at his shoulder again, but he caught it this time.

"You'll find that I'm not so easy to beat anymore, lil' sis," Alberto said, smirking. She sneered back with a smile.

"Don't get a big head just because you're tall and a muscle head now." She said, teasing.

It was true. This was the first time he had seen Giulia as his official sister. Of course, they had basically been brother and sister for years. But on Alberto's sixteenth birthday, Massimo had surprised him with adoption papers. It was the first and only time Alberto had cried in front of anyone.