007. Old friends part 2

Start from the beginning

"New haircut?" the man asked. 

"Or bring Selby for a chat" Zemo finished. The man glanced at Bucky then at Y/n and Sam before leaving.

"A power broker? Really?" Bucky asked. 

"Every kingdom needs its king. Let's just pray we stay outside of this radar,"

"Do you know him?" Y/n asked.

"Only by reputation. In Madripoor he is judge, jury, and executioner," Zemo explained and turned to look at the room. Spotting a man coming toward him, he turned to Bucky. "Winter soldier, attack," he said in Russian as the man put a hand on his shoulder.

Y/n and Sam watched as Bucky grabbed his arm, twisting it with his vibranium hand, forcing him to step back. He took him down and a few others stepped toward him. Everyone was recording and Y/n took one step forward, watching Bucky becoming again who he claimed was gone. A fight interrupted as many walked toward Bucky but he took them down one by one.

"Didn't take much for him to fall back into form," Zemo commented and Y/n glared at him.

Bucky grabbed a man by his throat and slammed him down on the bar. She reached out and put a hand on his arm. He turned to her, his face not relaxing one bit. Zemo spoke up "Stay in character or the whole bar turns on us,"

Y/n put her hand away and watched as Bucky let the man fall to the floor after Zemo ordered him to.

"Selby will see you now," the barman said with a phone to his ear. 

"You good?" asked Sam and Bucky looked at him, quickly exhaling before walking away. Sam and Y/n shared a glance before going after him. Zemo led them into some corridors before arriving in a room, where a silver-haired woman sat on a couch, a few men walking around her.  

"You should know Baron. People just don't come into my bar and make demands," she started.  

"Not a demand, an offer." Zemo started and sat across from her. 

"A lot has changed since you were here last," she said and glanced at Bucky who stood a few feet next to Zemo "By the way, I thought you were rotting away in a German prison. How did you escape?" 

"People like us always find a way, don't we?" Zemo answered innocently "I'm sure you've already figured out what I'm here for," 

Selby pointed her finger toward Sam, her gaze still on Zemo. "You're taller than I heard, Smiling Tiger," she said and turned her head. Sam nodded and she smiled "Another one of your girlfriends?" she asked as if Y/n couldn't answer for herself and looked her up and down. Y/n smiled and Selby turned back to Zemo. 

"What's the offer?" 

"Tell us what you know about the super-soldier serum," Zemo answered and got up toward Bucky "And I give you him. Along with the code words to control him, of course. He'll do anything you want." 

Y/n, who stood across Bucky, watched Zemo talk about Bucky as if he was an asset, as if he was still the Winter soldier. She thought about how Bucky must be feeling right now and fought the urge to intervene. 

Selby on the other hand smiled "Now that's the Zemo I remember. I'm glad I decided not to kill you immediately. You were right to come to me. Arrogant, but right. The super-soldier serum is here, in Madripoor. Doctor Wilfred Nagel is the man you wanna thank. Or...condemn, depending on what side you're on. The Power Broker had him working on the serum, but things didn't go as planned," 

"Is Nagel still in Madripoor?" Zemo asked. 

"The bread crumbs you can have for free, but the bakery is gonna cost you, Baron," Selby negotiated and got up "And before you get all cute, don't think you can find Nagel without me." 

All of a sudden, Sam's phone vibrated in his pocket. All heads turned to him and he glanced at Selby before looking down at his phone. It was Sarah calling him. 

"Answer it. On speaker" Selby said and a much taller man carrying a gun went to stand behind Y/n.  Even Bucky moved and stood a few feet behind Shelby. Sam, who looked totally unsure, answered his phone. Sam and Sarah talked, and everything went alright. Until Sarah spoke up.

"Look, Sam, let me call you back alright?" 

Y/n looked up and met Bucky's gaze who had the same expression as her. That was not good. 

"Sam? Who's Sam?" Selby asked, "Kill them!" 

Suddenly, a bullet shot through the glass, hitting Selby in the chest. She fell on the floor, dead. Everyone gasped and Bucky and Sam acted quickly and took down the two remained guards, taking their guns. Zemo got up from the couch and he and Y/n walked toward the door, Bucky and Sam following. 

"They're gonna pin this on us," Sam said. 

Zemo sighed "We have a real problem now, so leave your weapons and follow my lead,"

The four walked out in the streets, as people started to chatter more and more. All of a sudden, the lights went off and gunshots erupted toward them. Zemo ran away and Sam, Y/n, and Bucky ran in another direction. They arrived at a dead end, and the two men chasing them stopped their motorcycles. But they were shot from a window before anything happened. Zemo joined them from the other side of the street. 

"Look like you have a guardian angel," he said. 

"Well, this is too perfect," a woman's voice spoke and a hooded figure approached, aiming a gun in front of her. She took off her hood "Drop it, Zemo." 

"Sharon?" Y/n asked with a frown. The last time all of them saw her, she had gone missing right after the Sokovian accords. 

She walked closer to them, both her gun and her gaze still on Zemo "You cost me everything," 

"Sharon, wait!" Y/n spoke and walked in front of Zemo "Someone recreated the super-soldier serum and Zemo had a lead," 

"That explains why you guys are here. And Selby's dead," 

"So what are you doing here?" Bucky asked back. 

"I stole Steve's shield, remember?" she replied and turned to Sam and Y/n "I also took the wings for your asses, so you could save his ass, from his ass. I didn't have the Avengers to back me up, so I'm off the grid in Madripoor," she shrugged her shoulders and finally put her gun down. 

"We were on a run too," Sam spoke. 

"Was, is. Big difference. I don't speak to my family anymore, I can't." 

"Listen, Sharon, we need your help," Bucky interrupted.

Sharon chuckled and sighed "This isn't over. But I have a place in High town, you should be safe there for a while."