The letter

Sadly school started and life continued. Now I knew a little bit more about what was going on with Claude it was nice because he would tell me if he'd had a bad day and get it off his chest without having to worry our parents. I wished there was something more I could do to help but bullies are rubbish and they weren't beating him up yet so. I felt like if I tried to do anything it would make it worse so I miserably kept quiet.

At my own school everyone was bored. Exams were finished we were leaving in a month and there was nothing left to do. Everybody had their places and didn't have anything to work or study for so they fell back on the favourite pastime. Pick on the freaky new kid who humilatiated the class bully over the holidays and now has different hair. I'm too cool for the stupids to handle. Obviously. I was good at climbing though so I just spent most breaks and lunchtimes up a tree with my book. This was fine until one day, a week before the end of term I was sitting up there like normal when someone ran under the tree playing hide and seek. They glanced up for some reason and saw me just sitting there. With a loud cackle, Madeleine (I think, I still couldn't be be bothered to find out) ran off. A moment later they returned, the entire gang, headed up by Luke. He kept mocking me and wouldn't shut up, then suddenly all the kids started pushing and wobbling the tree and the lower branches. I glared at them but they wouldn't stop. A particularly violent jerk knocked me off my perch and I was falling, down, down and then I hit the ground with my left arm extended in front of me. I carefully curled up in a ball, shielding me arm as I saw Luke glaring down at me.  

"Sadly little skye, this is the last time we'll meet in school but I'm sure you will see me around." And with a threatening grin he walked off with a quick but painful kick at my ribs. The rest of the kids quickly dispersed and I vaguely saw a teacher run over before blacking out.

The hospital was horrible but I got the last week off because my arm had broken in a few places and needed an operation, which was rubbish. The doctor said I could have the cast off in six weeks, in time for school. I'm left handed so this was a major relief. Mum and dad were a bit annoyed I had been climbing trees but were more confused by the fact I fell, given that I do rock clibming once a week. Claude just looked at me worriedly as if he knew there was more to it but we left it since I wouldn't be going back anyway.  

Once claude too had broken up we had a really good time. We didn't have any plans for the holidays apart from a week in London at the start of August so Claude and I mostly stayed at home or in the garden. When it was nice we would take out our books or a board game plus an iPod speaker to the trampoline and lie in the sun whilst chatting about nothing important. We had a few fights, but they were often when the weather was bad or we had stayed up too late and we knew that they were more banter or letting of steam than something serious. My mum and dad had to work so often it was just the two of us but we were responsible and we had decided we didn't want to do any of our normal science or sport camps that we go on. Our parents said that we couldn't waste the summer though so we both had to choose something to learn. After a week of sandwiches and ready meals I decided to learn to cook proper food and Claude decided to learn the guitar properly. We have a old one in the attic. Which he fond restrung and looked after. Pretty soon we were both quite good so we surprised our parents one evening.

"Welcome to chez lunatic, THE hottest place in town. May I take your coats?" Claude waffled as he waved my astonished parents into the living room. " dinner will be served shortly, so may I get you a glass of wine?"

Mum and dad were desperately trying not to crack up laughing as Claude now had rather bright blue hair (we redied our hair for summer and mine was a delightful shade of purple) coupled with a smart jacket and white shirt and a pair of combat shorts on otherwise he would overheat. I suddenly drew back from the doorway as I realised that my pan was bubbling over. I kicked the door shut in order to distract from the long and impressive chain of explosive swear words. In the other room I could still hear Claude rambling on.

"Now the menu tonight consists of homemade pasta with a fresh pesto sauce followed by stuffed chicken breast with mash and peas. During th course of tour dinneR there will be live entertainment. If you would follow me through to th main dining room now."

At that moment I quickly assembled the pasta, put it on a tray and passed the tray to Claude. I checked the chicken breast and the potatoes before taking off my apron and joining Claude in the restaurant/ conservatory. He took his guitar out of a corner and sat on one of the two high stools we'd put out. I quickly sat on the other and gave him a reassuring smile. Our parents were sitting comfortably and enjoying the food. Claude began to strum the guitar gently in the intro to one of our favourite soft, quiet songs. I'm not a great singer but Claude is and our voices work well together so we had practiced in advance. When I heard my cue I looked up and sang. I had a nice top and shorts with some funky tights on and Claude had realised he had forgotten to get changed so had changed into some jeans, t shirt and jacket.

After a few songs I slipped out leaving Claude soloing to dish up the main. I wrote a note telling my parents to wash up then took the food in .before kissing them goodnight.

************************

The next morning i woke earlier than normal and headed downstairs in my pyjamas. I heard gentle conversation and realisedx my parents were still at home which was unusual as i was normally still asleep when they left. i wandered into the kitchen making an extremely attractive face as i stretched.

"morning darling. The posts just arrived"

"thats nice dad. Any reason telling me? its not like i've got anything."

"well, actually you have. Bit of a weird looking letter as well. and umm, it was delivered by hand by someone who wants to have a chat with us. All of us."

i looked at both of there faces fully expecting hem to pull the plug on the prank any minute until i heard a quiet cough from the sitting room. My eyebrows raised and i look to my parents for some explanation but my parents faces were just as confused as mine.