Chapter 2: New School Year

– Draco's POV –

"Silence!" McGonagall's charismatic voice interrupted the festive atmosphere of the Great Hall. "The sorting ceremony for the new students will shortly begin..."

"I just want the food already." Blaise whispered to me as we made our way to the Slytherin table. "Oh, by the way. Have you heard?"

"Hear what?" I asked. 

"There are two new students in our year," Blaise's eyes sparkled but soon his voice became muffled by a group of 3rd year girls who surrounded us.

"Hi Draco," they spoke in unison and I could feel their admiring stares without even looking.

"So?" I replied to Blaise's words, uninterested in the group of girls. They let out worshipful gasps whenever I moved my finger and I sneered at them inside. Selfless fools. But then suddenly, someone conjured up in my head.

"Well... Next time, try it again, Draco Malfoy."

I could feel my cheek heat up a bit. Shit.

"What do you mean 'so'– Hey," Blaise turned to the girls behind me, annoyed by the noises they were making. "Your Draco doesn't care about you guys, go back to your seats." At his words, the girls scoffed in annoyance and walked away.

"Will you ever do something about them? You're unconsciously giving them a chance by ignoring them." Blaise shook his head. "Or are you doing that on purpose? You're enjoying them, mate. Aren't you?"

"You talk a lot. Are you jealous?" I laughed. "I'm just so deeply unbothered."

"Anyways, back to what we were saying. So, there are two new students–"

"Two new students, yes, what's the big deal about it?" I interrupted Blaise.

"One is a muggle," said Blaise.

"Mhmm," I crossed my arms and rested my eyes, nonchalant about what Blaise was saying.

"And the other used to be a top student at the Durmstrang–"

"Mhmm," and I did care to reply to him.

"–before getting expelled."

"Mhmm..." and I slowly opened his eyes and looked at Blaise. What he said was indeed intriguing. "...Expelled?" I smirked with disbelief. "Why would Hogwarts accept an expelled student?"

"That's true... but everyone's been talking about–"

"Students, welcome back to another year at Hogwarts," Blaise was cut off by Dumbledore. "I hope you've all had great summer holidays and that you are all thrilled to be back," the hall became silent. "Without further ado, I'd like everyone to welcome the new students who will be joining us for the adventures at Hogwarts." He then nodded to Hagrid who was guarding the closed gate of the Great Hall. Hagrid turned around and opened the gate. As a flood of young, fresh, mostly first year students entered through the gate, everyone in the hall clapped enthusiastically. The new students were busy looking around the gigantic hall, hypnotised by the exuberant decorations welcoming them. But I was not at all feeling the same as those kids. I rested my chin on my hand and just lazily eyed the crowd.

Then the room got a bit quieter, and whispers were heard. "Ha!" Blaise lightly hit me with his elbow, "it must be them." I, frowning, glared at the direction Blaise was pointing at.

"Wow," Blaise murmured, "she looks ravishing." The seemingly 'new students,' a boy and a girl, were marching with the group at the end. The boy was tall and had a dark hair, and the girl... I continued staring at her. She looks familiar...

The thief..?!

Then suddenly, her eyes met mine as she confidently walked past me. She didn't avoid my eyes. I stared at her intently, surprised. The two of us did not drop the eye contact as though we were in an unspoken contest with one another. The fleeting moment passed by like a slow motion to me. The hold of breath.

Her eyes then shifted back to looking forward and Blaise noticed me looking at her. "So... you do agree?" Blaise laughed.

...Arrogant. I continued to watch her wait in line that formed in front of the sorting hat. After a while, there was no line, and it was just the new boy and the girl. When it was the girl's turn to sit on the sorting chair, the hall got quieter as if everyone was thinking the same as Blaise.

"I wonder which house she will be sorted into," said Blaise.

"Y/N Ashdale..." and the sorting hat stopped singing. It spoke quietly but it echoed throughout the entire hall. "Hmmm... Tricky, tricky... It's either..." Then it was unable to hear what the hat was whispering to Y/N.

She scanned each house table slowly and opened her mouth. "...What do you think she said?" asked Blaise, looking at the speechless sorting hat. "Or what do you think the sorting hat will say?"

"Hopefully not–"

"GRYFFINDOR!"

"Good," I scoffed after the sorting hat shouted. There was an enthusiastic cheering from the Gryffindor table. Then suddenly, McGonagall, who was standing beside the sorting chair, grasped the Y/N's arm and forcefully made her stand on her feet and face her. I couldn't hear what McGonagall was saying to Y/N but from the look on her face, I could easily tell that it was a serious conversation. When McGonagall let go of her, Y/N coldly turned around and approached the Gryffindor table.

She smiled brightly as she joined the table. I observed her as she sat at the very centre of the table, where the stupid trio was. The Gryffindor students tried talking to her – not just the ones who were beside her – whom she actively responded to. Through the crowd that hindered my sight, I caught glimpses of her.

"Draco Malfoy..."

It's her. I was certain and my heart skipped a beat. I couldn't tell why, though. ...Am I excited to see her again? 

"Edmund Vesper" the sorting hat shouted as the muggle boy sat on the chair. I side eyed him and realised how his eyes were directed at Y/N, smiling.

"...Slytherin!" But as the hat shouted, Y/N frowned as if she was disappointed to be in a different house as him. The curl on Edmund's lips faded, but soon he chuckled. He stood up and joined the cheering Slytherin table.

"Stupid hat, I wish it was the other way around. We don't need another fit lad," Blaise spoke bitterly. Edmund looked for an empty seat, which Blaise happened to have one right next to him. "Oh no, not– Go ahead," Blaise sighed.

"Hey, it's nice to meet you." Edmund offered his hand and Blaise shook it awkwardly.

I looked back and forth between Y/N and Edmund, fascinated. Y/N's and Edmund's eyes were fixed on each other.

"Are you really a muggle like Hermione? Oh, you don't know who Hermione is yet. And you are friends with the new girl?" asked Blaise.

"Yup," Edmund answered.

"Is it true that she got expelled from the Durmstrang?" Blaise whispered. I looked the other way, but I was all ears to their conversation.

Edmund chuckled. "I don't know. You should ask her."

"The sorting ceremony has now come to an end. Students, you have all been sorted and we saw the proud qualities of each and every one of you that best represent each house." McGonagall looked at Y/N and continued speaking, "you may not request for a change and hope you will do your best in each of your house. The house with the most house points..."

Y/N's face was now calm, and it was unreadable. Ignoring McGonagall's speech, I rested my chin in my left hand and stared at Y/N. Her impalpable aura was enigmatic, and it was bothering me.