"I do, sir. However it would still be wise to expand my knowledge about all weapons with the capacity to be used as a defense mechanism in the field." Commander Scott must have been impressed by my friend's response. He motioned us to the computer monitor and told us it displayed our simulation results and tracked our progress.

"You are doing very well, Thompson." Commander Scott patted my friend on the back. The commander must have patted him pretty hard because my friend then rubbed his shoulder afterwards. "However, Miss Johnson, you are lacking improvement. I suggest you work on taking in your environment and using it to your advantage. I understand this simulation is rather difficult to overcome." The commander sent my friend out so he was able to speak with me personally. My hands became sweaty as Commander Scott glared back at me. Whatever kindness he'd shown before had vanished.

"What I want to ask you, Johnson, is why the hell are you not making improvements? This is the fourth time this has happened and I am a bit agitated that I am not seeing promised results."

"I understand, sir. I'm having a hard time identifying my opponent. The other simulations I have been in were far too easy compared to this one."

"Well, I guess we have identified your problem then. Figure out who the hell it is and get back on target, soldier. I don't need any stragglers in this operation. You get an idea with what I will do to them if I were to find out."

I nodded. One girl failed to complete a field op once. She learned what she did was wrong the hard way. I never saw her again.

"Look here, Johnson. I like you. Your one of my best students here at HIEP, and I need more folks like you to lead the way for the new blood coming next summer. Remind me what we do here at HIEP."

"HIEP stands for 'Heroic Individuals Enforcement Program'. You, along with special forces, train kids like me to defend ourselves and to protect innocent people. It's like the FBI, only for young teens."

"Good. At least you can identify your team. The next simulation will be scheduled in three days time. Prepare yourself for the next one and hopefully you can finally defeat this simulation like the others before it. I want you dressed and ready at 0700. You and the rest of the Alpha ranked soldiers are going on a field op in the Middle East to scope out the scene and get the feel of real world situations. There is a client you are to meet and exchange a package. You are not to open either package, understand? It's contents are top secret and to be handled with extreme caution."

"Yes, sir."

"Atta girl. You are dismissed."

~*~*~*~*~*~

I lay quietly on my mattress as I stared up at the ceiling. I never liked my room. It's space was confining and there was only one window, which faced the hallway so everyone who passed by could see you. You couldn't cover the window up when you want privacy either. The walls were made of concrete and its color made me feel depressed. I had one poster hung on a wall to my right, a desk to my left, a small closet to store my clothes, and my mattress raised up on a wooden pedestal in the back.

When I joined HIEP two years ago, I was only able to take a few personal items with me to the headquarters. I snagged a band poster, my dad's college pullover, and a framed picture of my family. The frame stood on the desk, along with my HIEP uniform: a black military jumpsuit and a pair of black combat boots. I put on the pullover whenever I enter my room to stay warm. The concrete walls always cooled my room down, despite the heat outside. My door opened, revealing my friend standing in the doorway.

"May I?" I grin, patting part of the bed next to me. He closed the door behind him then joined me. "How are you feeling?" He asked as I pull myself up.

"I'm okay. Just tired, I guess. The simulation took a lot out of me."

"Yah, they're always exhausting. Too much brainpower. I kinda need my brain if I want to be here at HIEP, let alone live."

"Ha! Tell that to the commander. He'd slap you upside the head."

"I'm surprised he hasn't already. Oh! I brought you something." He reached inside his pocket and pulled out a small chocolate bar. "I managed to sneak it from inmate 145."

"Oh my god! Are you serious? Lemme see it!" I snatched the candy from his hands and pluck the tiny chocolate in my mouth. It begins to melt in my mouth, and I savor it's sweet taste, grinning with satisfaction. "You're the best."

"I know," the boy stretched out his arms, then wrapped one around my shoulders. "One of the perks of being awesome." I giggle and punch his arm playfully.

" You know, we aren't prisoners here. You keep calling us inmates."

"Well, if you think about it we kinda are. I mean, Commander Scott is testing us to become his version of 'the perfect soldier'. Now be honest, when has he really cared for us? Like as a mentor would to his student or a father-son type of relationship. If we're sick, he tells us to suck it up and continue training. He doesn't care for all the kids here, emotionally. His sole focus is the organization. So, I guess we are just considered lab rats to him."

"I never thought of it that way. It does make sense after all he's done for HIEP. He is the founder."

"Founder or not, he should at least care."

"Aw," I pout, "Poor baby's feeling hurt?"

"Yah!" He whines, "I wanna feel wuved!" I lean in and peck him on the cheek.

"What, am I not enough for you?" I tease.

"Babe, your more than enough," he wriggled his eyebrows. I laugh and bury my face in my hands. When I go to look up he is making another face. I try not to smile, but can't help myself over his incredible goofiness.

"I should get going. Big day tomorrow." He spoke, brushing his shirtsleeves. "I shall see you tomorrow."

"Same with you." He chucked then drew his lips to mine. His fingers combed through my hair as our lips met. I pulled away and smiled at him.

"Love ya, Liv," he whispered.

"I love you, too, Zac." He grinned and gave me a hug before returning to his room. I plopped back down on my bed and sighed. If this is what love felt like, then I wished this feeling would never end.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Hey guys! What do you guys think about this flashback? We finally get to see Olivia's past along with her lover, Zac Thompson. Comment and rate below! ✌🏻️

@-AgentSecor-