Chapter One

There was a knock at my apartment door. I hurried to the door, pulling a sweatshirt over my head as I looked through the peep hole. Two police men stood at my door, their hats tucked under their arms. I unlocked my door and opened it, wedging myself between the door and doorframe.

"Can I help you officers?" I spoke.

"Hello, ma'am. I am Officer Clark. This is my partner, Officer Fern. We would like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind."

"What happened? Did I do something wrong?" My dark brown hair began to fall in front of my face. I tucked a strand behind my ear, only for it to fall back in front of my face again.

"Not at all ma'am," Officer Fern spoke up. "We just have a few questions regarding the vigilante. We have been going door to door trying to find out any possible information on her that we were unaware of." Officer Fern motioned to the door. "Do you mind if we come inside, ma'am?"

"Oh, not at all!" I opened the door, revealing my messy apartment. "Please come in! I apologize about the mess. I have just been so busy at school, I never get a break!" I motioned the officers to sit as I took a seat at my dining room table.

"Where do you attend school, ma'am?" Both officers took a seat across from me. Officer Clark pulled out a vanilla folder stamped with big red letters "Nightingale".

"I just attend the local collage," I replied. "It's difficult to find a job when you don't have the required amount of education."

"I understand completely, ma'am. Times are tough now a days. We never did catch your name."

"Olivia. Olivia Johnson."

"Olivia, it is very nice to meet you," Officer Clark stuck out his hand. I graciously shook both the officers' hands. "What do you know about the vigilante, Nightingale?"

"Erm, well I know she's a girl, so that's a start!" I chuckled. "I know she catches bad guys. I saw on the news that she stopped the bank robbers on Main Street last night. She has been helping the police a lot lately."

"Do you know the vigilante personally, Olivia?" Officer Clark began to pull out papers from the folder.

"Oh god no!" I said, putting my hand over my chest. "I honestly would be terrified to know someone like that! It would be scary knowing someone who could kick your butt if you pissed them off."

"Haha. Yah, I'm pretty sure no one would want that," Officer Clark pushed a paper in front of me. "Does this woman look familiar to you?" I looked down at the paper in front of me. It was a photocopied drawing of the vigilante. It was a side portrait of a woman with long hair, wearing a mask that concealed around her eyes, the top side of the mask pointing upwards. It reminded me of long cat lashes that models had in magazine photos.

"No, sir." I handed the officer back the picture. "She doesn't look familiar at all." The officer took back the photo, placing it delicately in the folder.

"One last question," Officer Fern spoke up, "Were you familiar with any other vigilantes besides Nightingale?"

"There are more of them?" I gasped.

"There were. The police force has caught all of them except for this one here." Officer Fern pointed to the file. "Unfortunately doing work for the police, like the acts of a vigilante for example, is against the law. Having someone do our work for us makes us officers look bad. Does that make sense, Olivia?"

"Absolutely, officer. I had no idea about any of this! I cannot believe there were more of them and I never heard of them."

"Most of the others were very minor threats compared to Nightingale. They were caught rather quickly."

"Well, I'm just glad you guys are almost done with the vigilantes. They honestly scare me that they can do these things like breaking into places and get away from the cops almost undetected."

"That's why we do what we do, ma'am." Officer Fern exclaimed.

"Thank you for your time, Olivia. If you see or hear of the vigilante, please contact the police as soon as possible." The officer's pushed out of their chairs and began to walk to the door.

"Of course, officers." I hurried past them and held open the door, smiling at the officers. "Have a good rest of your day!"

"Thank you, ma'am. You as well." After the officers left, I carefully closed the door. The smile on my face quickly faded. I walked back to the dining room table, feeling my hand under the side of where I sat. I felt the metal screw and pressed it. The table top began to flip over, revealing a dark purple and black suit and mask. A katana blade and it's holster rested on top. Gadgets of sorts laid around the suit and blade. Flash bangs, grappling hooks, snares, and throwing knives were only to name a few of the many things hidden under the table top.

That was close, I thought. I need to be more careful now that I am aware they are hunting me down. No one can know my secret. No one can find out I am the vigilante.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Hey guys! I am soo excited to be writing my first book here on Wattpad! I cannot wait to tell you this story and I am looking forward to having you guys read it! Comment below on what your predictions will be! ✌🏻️

@-AgentSecor-