The Legend Of The Time-Travel Tree

CHAPTER 1

Emma sat down at her piano to play a song she wrote, while her friend Jack sat to listen. She had never played this song to anyone before, and she was trying not to be nervous.

She took in deep breaths, in and out, while her fingers touched the keys gently.

"It's okay - I'm sure it will be great!" Jack said, trying to encourage her.

Emma sighed. "It has taken me a while to get this perfect. This song is my heart and soul, and playing it to someone is very daunting!"

Jack smiled, but Emma couldn't see him. She was just trying to relax.

"Come on Emma, it's just me! Go for it! If it's awful, I'll let you know."

Now it was Emma's turn to smile. Good old Jack for trying to lighten the mood. She put her fingers in the starting position, and started to play her piece. Halfway through, the song became more soft and slow. Just as that was happening, a chainsaw noise came blaring through the room.

"Ah, I see you have written a new theme song for Texas Chainsaw Massacre!" Jack said laughing.

Emma stopped playing. "Yeah that's my Dad trying to cut down the tree. Again."

"That huge tree in your backyard?"

"No the tiny flower bush in our front yard. It sure is a tough plant!"

"Okay funny piano lady. Let's go watch!"

"But what about my song?"

"Well, it doesn't go well with the chainsaw. Electric guitar maybe, but not your piano. Come, let's go watch!"

Emma shook her head. Typical male! She thought.

They walked out to the backyard, and gradually the noise becoming deafening, so Emma thought it was no use asking Jack again what he thought of her song. It was quite a sight they eventually came upon. Her Dad,  Steve, wearing sunglasses, gloves and ear muffs. Her brothers were at work with axes trying to cut down the monster tree. After a few minutes, her Dad turned the chainsaw off, shaking his head.

"This beast of a tree doesn't want to be cut down."

"So it's true....oooooh!" claimed Jonah, one of her brothers. 

"What's true?' asked Jack. All the men jumped slightly, unaware of Jack or Emma. 

"The Legend of...this tree," said Jonah, trying to sound un-nerving. 

"Mmm. Sounds scary and thriling." Jack said scarcastically.

"Legend has it this tree can't be cut down."

"Well, not with that defeated attitude. Go on - try again!"

Jonah came over to Jack with his axe. "When we bought this house, we were told about this tree. All the past owners over the past few hundred years have never been able to cut this baby down."

"Well, why would you want to? It's a beautiful tree!"

"Yeah," Emma joined in, "it's a gorgeous tree! Why do you boys keep trying to cut it down? It's not causing any problems."

Jonah smiled. "Because we wanted to try. If this tree is un-choppable, sounds like a challenge to me!" 

Emma rolled her eyes. Typical boys alright.

Jack walked over, examining the tree. His hands were smoothing it over, as he inspected it closely. "Looks like a normal tree to me!"

“DOWN WITH TREE!" shouted 12-year-old Bohdi. Another excited male at the prospect at cutting down an un-cuttable tree.