Even Tho Yeah It's A Date

Start from the beginning

And he gestures for her to climb on.

Their ride is slow and quiet. As the bike bumps around, she grabs onto him. She can't see it, but he smiles.

Also—to be honest, he'd wanted some excuse to feel her closer, too. After seeing Tom Levay, stretched out on her futon—

It'd filled him with an unexpected rage. He knew it was just Kai's sofa. But still, somehow, it felt like watching Tom lie next to Kai. He'd wanted to neutralize that somehow—to get even closer.

Therefore, Lukas had thought about the whole evening very carefully. A little too carefully, maybe. 

He can't abide by anyone else being closer to her. Tonight is the end of all that.

. . * * * * . . . . . .
. . . . * * * * . . . .
. . . . . . * * * * . .

Finally, they're at the top of the peak. In the parking lot, he holds the bike steady so she can climb off.

She almost gasps, seeing how high up they are. New Haven's amber city lights extend outwards before them. It looks like the view from an airplane landing at night.

Gusts of night wind stir the stray hair around Kai's face.

"I had no idea the city was so big!" she said.

"Next semester, I'm moving there." He points into the night.

She searches his face. "You didn't seem that happy about it. Last time we talked."

"Well—" he says. "Back then, moving off campus— I thought it meant we'd stop running into each other."

What?! thinks Kai

Her stunned brain's trying to construct a timeline. When would he have thought that? How long had—

The timeline falls apart. It makes no sense.

"But now?" he says. His voice is happy, "I want you to see my new place, next spring. If you want."

She nods.

And she sees he's pointing at two metal binoculars attached to poles in the ground. Those things at scenic spots where you drop a coin into their slot.

"What are these things called?" she asks. "I never knew!"

"Tower viewers," he says.

With a raised eyebrow, he feeds the binocular a quarter. Then, he gently guides her forward.

"Look—" he says.

She bends forward and peers into the two dark eyeholes. Familiar rooftops come into focus. Some are shadowy, others are lit by streetlamps. There's Freshman Commons—the dome. That must be the very top of Tom's Crown Club—could it be? And Harkness Tower. Then she sees Gaffigan. And the section of rooftop where she can almost make out a dark smudge. The greenhouse!

As she's squinting to figure it all out, she freezes. Because suddenly she can feel the gentle pressure of Lukas's body against her back. He's bending down. His cheek's next to hers. His chin on her shoulder. The rolling, warm cycle of his breaths next to her earlobe.

They're both facing the vista of city lights.

Her own breath feels jammed in her throat.

And then he places his hands on her shoulders. Almost too slowly, he turns her around. With the city view behind her, all that fills her field of vision is his chest, his shoulders. His neck. She looks up at his face, his straight nose and strong jaw.