Chapter 35 Perception

Start from the beginning

And Dieckmann sees the color change in Sam's face again. He can't explain what makes him get so excited. What new facets he sees in him.

And Österreich is once again left out. He was never allowed to perceive the inner emotions of others right away. When it raged in them. When they cried out inwardly with longing.

He had to hear it. They had to open up.

And so he sits there and does not perceive the mood of the inner passions.

The waitress brings them four cards and the hot drinks they ordered.

After they all place their orders, Dieckmann begins talking:

"We want to address something. Sam, as your thesis advisor, I can't endorse YU remaining your subject. The direction that became apparent right from your first meeting is not appropriate for your research project. Your friendship developed out of nowhere. You found each other without a doubt. And you are sitting at the same table with people who really know exactly what that means. The relationship of two comrades is too precious to be exposed to the dangers of a therapeutic dilemma."

Dieckmann's look is gentle and serious.

Österreich takes over the relay and immediately continues, "YU, I really wanted to draw you out of the shadows. That's why I urged you to participate in Sam's research. And as much as I admire Sam's analytical mind, I now realize that he has much more to offer you. With a friend, you can be carefree. Share every high and every low. For a therapeutic session, there must be no intense feelings, shared memories. You should allow your friendship to develop freely."

Dieckmann sees a concerned Sam searching YU's eyes.

Without hesitation, Sam counters, "You can trust us enough to be professional. YU is the most important subject in my research. With his help, I can explore the perception of transference and the appropriate counter-transference in the best possible way. I will not do without YU."
And for the first time, Dieckmann and Österreich hear YU's voice that day:

"Even if Sam is the friend I finally found, I could never forgive our friendship if I had to give up researching alongside Sam Lin for this. My mind could never come to terms with that. It wants to stand by Sam Lin's side and listen to him. To be there when he creates grandiose things."

As Österreich's glazed, touched eyes absorb YU's every word and soften his heart, Dieckmann sees the statement's effect on Sam.

He sees Sam melting away. He can't hide anything. He sees it in his eyes.

And Dieckmann's realization shines brightly in his mind and makes him smile.

He has to talk to him about that.

"You two are really touching," Dieckmann laughs, infecting his old friend.

"We're not saying you shouldn't work together anymore. You can't deprive science of two such capable experts. We're just saying that YU shouldn't do any more depth psychology sessions with Sam. He should no longer be your subject, Sam. We were thinking that he could be your assistant. You could analyze the cases of the other subjects together. Evaluate the moments of transference and countertransference, refine them. Draw results from that.", Dieckmann explains and is abruptly interrupted by Österreich.

"Of course, then YU Teng would also have to be mentioned by name as an assistant in Sam Lin's doctoral thesis," Österreich says loftily and then begins to giggle, "Just as Sigmund Freud and Josef Breuer did research together."

"What are you giggling about when you bring in Freud and Breuer?" interrupts Dieckmann.

Österreich looks at him grimly. "I don't giggle. Men don't giggle," he replies. Dieckmann rolls his eyes.