C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N

Começar do início

"Thanks, Doc." I cracked.

"Let's get Muchi to the ship." Hunter instructed. He then removed his helmet and backpack, and he handed them to Omega to carry before kneeling down in front of me facing away. "Hop on."

"Excuse me? You can't be serious." The corner of my mouth twisted.

"I am. Now get on." he ordered. Hoping my face wasn't as red as it felt, I draped my body against his back; my arms slowly wrapped around his neck. He then scooped his forearms underneath my bottom and hoisted me up. I lowered my head to cover my deep blushing; in doing so, my forehead lightly bumped against his head with every other step. The sergeant carried me all the way back to the Marauder. At some point, I had settled my chin right where his bare neck and chestplate met. As I breathed calmly, I inhaled his scent and absorbed his warmth. My body responded by relaxing, as if the natural aroma of the outdoors soothed me. I found myself briefly savoring the sensation of protection and familiarity... 

Hunter only released me once we reached the short ladder so I could rest in my and Omega's room. As I clung to the rungs, I turned my head to him and breathed quietly so only he could hear, "Thank you." He gazed up at me; the soft lighting behind me accentuated his skull tattoo and strong cheekbones and jawline. Those dark orbs expressed only compassion. He said nothing, only nodded, but I received the message. Once he walked away, I huffed a light exhale, smiled to myself, and arranged myself in the gunner's mount to get comfortable. I fell asleep the instant I curled up, hugging the side of my head in the crook of my arm.

—————————————————————

THIRD PERSON POV

Muchi was very cooperative for an adolescent rancor. She marched right down to the parlor, with Omega saddled on her shoulders. Fern, now sporting a bandage around her head instead of her usual grey bandana, followed alongside Hunter and Echo. When the clones arrived, the client, a pale, strange-looking specimen with his singular head-tail draped around his neck, was waiting for Muchi with open arms and a gracious attitude, paying Cid up front with no issue.

"Bye, Muchi." Wrecker and Omega waved as they parted. The rancor paused to give one last grateful roar.

"Gotta say, fellas." Cid scoffed. "I wasn't sure you could pull this job off."

"You could have told us we were going after a rancor." Echo pointed out.

"Hmm, tell them, Princess, of my 'bad' habit." Cid waved at Fern, who rolled her eyes and crossed her arms with a sigh. "Must've slipped her mind..."

"You heard her." Cid shrugged, and then pointed at Fern and Hunter. "Princess, Dark and Broody. My office." They did as they were told, and the three of them gathered around the holo-table, where Cid uploaded the image of the female hunter.

"Your bounty hunter is Fennec Shand." Cid delivered the intel she had obtained while they were on the rescue mission. "She's new to the scene, but has already proven herself to be cunning and ruthless."

"Who hired her?" Hunter questioned.

"Unknown." Cid shrugged. "My sources in the guild say she's working on a direct commission. With someone like her nipping at your heels, you're going to need two things: friends and money. Mostly money."

"Yeah, well, we are sorely lacking in both at the moment." Fern scoffed, arms crossed, and then smirked. "I guess it's a good thing we reconnected, huh, Cid? And speaking of money?"

Cid caught on and handed over one of the three cases of credits she obtained from her client. "There's more where that came from, if you're working for work."

"We'll...think about it." Hunter nodded, taking the case.

"It's still interesting, a bounty hunter of Fennec's caliber being after you." Cid chided. "You two must be holding something pretty valuable, or maybe yourselves being the valuable ones? Eh, Princess?"

"As you would know..." Fern's voice lowered. Hunter only stared. 

The Trandoshan didn't flinch. "Don't worry," she said. "I'm good with secrets, as you would know, Princess."

"Come on, Hunter." The female clone pulled onto her partner's arm and they exited the office, rejoining with the rest of their squad. "Can we trust her?" Hunter whispered to me.

"She can keep secrets." Fern replied. "That's all that matters."

"What's our next move?" Echo asked, opening up the case and subconsciously admiring the credits inside.

"We lay low." the sergeant decided, then looked over at the woman next to him. "If Fern trusts Cid, then we can stay here until we have a next move."

Fern returned a smile and nodded.