XXXI.

The tension in this chapter was inspired by this tremendously great GoT soundtrack by the genious Ramin Djawadi. Play it right now in the begining.

"What is this?" Thidialis asks curiously as she walks towards the strand laying on the ground "You bonded to him, didn't you?" Elarinya stays quiet, her eyes following the strand and the elleth "But he didn't offer his bond to you," Thidialis looks at Legolas with a grim expression "He didn't know about it, did he? Oh, I've never seen anything like this," she picks the strand lightly "Why did you do it, was it to save him?" Elarinya doesn't answer and Thidialis squeezes the strand in her hand "Speak!"

Only Thidialis hears her scream, but they all see as Elarinya falls to her knees, contorting with pain, her right hand leaning on the invisible wall and her left crossed tightly over her chest. She says a desperate "Yes! Yes..." and the elleth lets go of her bond, smirking. There are tears on Elarinya's eyes and she has a hard time breathing.

"It is admirable, I must confess. The resilience of women. One dared to kill the king of Angmar, and now the one who stands in front of me faces death just for an attempt at saving her loved one. Nonetheless, it is no surprise. A kingdom is ruled by the male who fights and leads, who encourages and is both judge and executioner. But it was always the female behind that held everything together, even the king himself. Or caused the greatest destruction. After all, see what happened with the beautiful Greenwood with the Queen's death."

Elarinya's voice is ragged, but bitter and venomous "I suppose that does not apply to you," the anger in Thidialis seems to rise, Elarinya is pushing her, trying to manipulate her "Your armies are being defeated, it is just a matter of time before our allies uprise and destroy you. I've always been taught about the kind nature of elves, and yet I cannot find it in you. You blame someone for killing your husband but you lost him long before, you think you are the victim when you should be held account. You couldn't love him enough to take him away from the path of evil."

The queen of Angmar is furious and squeezes the string again "I loved him enough to follow him into it!" Thidialis smirks as she sees Elarinya in pain "Oh but there is something wonderful in all of this! A woman killed my husband, and now I get to destroy the life of another. I'll kill your friends, leave your lover last, and you'll just know yourself how does it feel to have your heart shattered."

The elleth squeezes the bond once more and Elarinya only feels pain and despair. Thidialis drops it to the ground and walks towards the shards of the white gem, returns to collecting them.

Legolas is now restless, tries to shake the wall, tries to break it or find a way to pass through. Thranduil tries to call him to reason, but his son looks wildly at him. He will not lose her. Seeing the despair that controls Legolas, all of them try to break the barrier.

Elarinya has her hands on the floor, tries to shake the pain away and catch her breath. The elves won't come inside, won't be able to save them, and her friends stand behind the strong barrier, she can't even dare to look at Legolas. Her words to Thidialis from before make no more sense to herself, and yet she had seemed so confident seconds ago. She has no chance against her, she will stand there without being able to do anything, watching them being slaughtered, and then the elleth will come for her. And not only for her, but everyone. She will slay Athelas, the hobbits, Éowyn, Arwen, Faramir, Éomer. Elarinya miscalculated her power and got herself into a trap, she only aggravated the situation. Had only she called the elves, showed them the secret passage...

It's a primitive feeling that takes control over her actions. She is so angry at everything, including herself, that she closes her wrist and punches the wall, letting all her rage and pain out. At the second throw, she feels it falter slightly.