Chapter 45: Leave Or Believe

Start from the beginning

I put up with him and prayed for him that I never changed my mind afterwards. Because he would get it.

I saw her standing there, staring at me with so much fear. She had been crying, it was written all over her face. I tried to approach her when Brady stopped me. My men were on stand by behind me, when I heard a gun shot and saw Brady fall to the ground.

I mean, I wouldn't have given that order, but at least it shut him up.

Athena ran to him, crying and in panic. It then dawned on me that that was a bad move. She yelled at me, pushed me and insulted me. I could take it. I just wanted her to hear me out. Until she said those words. The words that took my heart and soul out of me.

'She wouldn't be with a man like me'

I had always thought that we loved each other, even though she never did say it, I felt it, but her words made me question everything I felt.

Did she really love me as much as I did?

I left her that day, choosing to see her happy with me out of her life, than miserable with me in it. I wasn't one to let things get to me, but I guess it's different coming from someone you love.

I got home late that night, replaying her words in my head.

A man like me. A man like me really didn't deserve to be happy. I don't know why I even thought she'd leave her world to be with me.

I asked my house keeper to clean out her room and put everything away. I left that house, I couldn't stand seeing Athena in every corner of it. I could barely get her out of my head, I wasn't going to be seeing her in my own home.

I left for Italy and drowned myself in work, alcohol and women, dinning with the most dangerous people in this industry.

I tried not to think about her, but it was close to impossible, but I would try, even if it was hard. I would do anything to keep her safe, and if it meant really staying away from her, then I'd do it.

*****
It had been a year now, and my businesses were booming. It was success after success. I had everyone's respect and for those who never gave it to me, well, I'd have to take it.

I returned to the States for business purposes, when my head was suddenly flooded with memories of Athena. To the public, I was just some young business tycoon, but in MY world, I was the last man you'd want to cross. And they feared and respected me for that. My title proceeded me. But I still yearned for Athena's approval.

I had all this but was still lacking. Now, I'm not saying follow that, 'money can't buy your happiness' nonsense, I have everything money can buy and I am happy. Athena just had high standards, too high even for me, but I wouldn't give up on my love for her. I believed that my love for her was enough to make her see past my lifestyle.

At least, I believed

I had ordered my men to find her and they later took me to an apartment complex. I was proud of her for having moved on and grown so much. I wanted to go to her apartment and see her, hold her.... kiss her. Just like before.

I waited for her to get home, when I saw her. She looked as beautiful as the day I first saw her, but all my dreams were shattered when I saw her with another man, the same man who had helped her.

I knew this Jayden guy would be a thorn in my side. I wished I could just end his miserable life right here-

Come to think of it, I did have a pending score that needed settling.

-but seeing how happy she looked made me rethink my decision, unfortunately. I went home, leaving my belief behind. I wanted to see her happy, that's all that mattered to me; her happiness. And even if it wasn't with me, I'd swallow my pride, and it was one hell of a pill to swallow, just for her.

I got to my house and walking through the door, I remember her.

This wasn't healthy

I went to Athena's room and saw all her things packed neatly. I knew I had to forget her. I just had to. And so, the following morning, I took her things to her house.

I sat in the car and looked up at her apartment. I saw her look out the window, and I knew she knew it was from me. I smiled in contentment as we drove away.

I never went back to that house. My short lived chapter with Athena was over, and I'd live with that, no matter how hard it was.