ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

Depuis le début

"I do not—"

"But I like it." He opens his eyes. "Thank you, (Y/n)."

"I haven't really done anything," I murmur. "Now, in return, I want you to finish reading this chapter before Grandpa comes. His scoldings are the last thing I need."

Prince Zeldris chuckles. "Of course."

As I slowly push the book towards him, the Demon Prince smoothly shifts a strand of my hair with a single finger away from my eyes. 

"My Prince?" I say hesitantly.

"Sorry," he apologises as he tilts his head. "Just wanted to have a view of your devastatingly beautiful eyes."

***

"Here's the traitor wandering right into enemy territory," someone speaks quite loudly which brings me out of my sleep. "That's quite a bold move."

Words fade in and out. Time passes by. And I have absolutely no clue what is going on.

"That's the authority of a King," I hear my grandfather praise from above me. "Most impressive. No way I can hold back these tears of pure joy!"

My mind blanks out again and then wakes up fully. About time.

"Now, now," Grandad mutters. "What did Young Master Meliodas whisper into Prince Zeldris's ear?"

Whisper into his ear? Why the hell would my best friend do that? Unless he is trying to tell his younger brother something crucial the others must not know about.

"What's wrong, Sir Zeldris?" I hear Cusack, my Grandpa, ask. "What did he just say to you?"

"OK fine, guess I'll work with you on this," Zeldris says. "Even if it's the last thing I want to do."

"Prince Zeldris, I cannot allow you to take (Y/n)!" Grandad protests as I feel a rush of wind in my direction. "She is in no fit condition to go anywhere!"

"Let him, Chandler," Meliodas orders. "Give them a moment. Go on, Zeldris."

Armoured hands wrap themselves around the back of my legs and my back as my head settles itself on a bare chest. 

"You better be here when I get back," the Commandment of Piety growls.

"Don't worry," my best friend reassures him. "I will." 

And then suddenly, everything becomes silent.

"You're still alive," I hear my heartless Prince whimper. "This whole time I thought you were..."

Unable to listen to the pain in his voice, I force myself to speak. "Hello, shorty."

"(Y/n)," Zeldris breathes as my eyes finally flicker open. "Oh (Y/n). How could you do that to me?"

"Damn, you still look great even though you are grieving." At Zeldris's deadly glare, I wince. "Sorry. Too soon for jokes?"

"Way too soon," he hisses as his hands tighten around me.

"You have seen Meliodas's current condition?" I ask as I breathe in his smell.

"Yes," Zeldris responds gruffly. 

Raising my hand, I press a finger to his forehead and realise that his mind has been completely blocked from the Demon King. And I can feel his older brother's magic surrounding him which means Meliodas managed to sever the bond between his younger brother and his father. Good. Less work for me.

"What was that for?" Zeldris asks as my hand falls to my stomach.

"Nothing," I mumble. "Let me sit down."