"That's not true," said Lily. "Hufflepuff and Gryffindor have a history of being friendly with one another. More so than Slytherin and Gryffindor." She gave him a pointed look.

He smiled a little. "Still."

"You're just saying that because you don't like Art."

"I don't not like Artemis," Severus protested softly. "She's fine, I just don't exactly care for the company she keeps."

Lily nodded. "I know, believe me. I hate James as much as you do."

"Speak of the devil..." Severus looked over Lily's shoulder, watching as James and Sirius entered the library and took a table in the back. He could tell in an instant that the boys weren't there to work. They spoke in loud voices with no regard for the students studying around them and as Sirius rocked back in his chair, James started folding an arsenal of paper airplanes with alarming speed.

Lily followed Severus's gaze and frowned. "I dunno why they come in here," she complained. "James always does his homework in the common room and Sirius is constantly bragging about not needing to study or do all his work. He and Artemis are the same in that way."

"Exactly my point," Severus said in a low voice. "She's too much like them to be trusted."

"I dunno about that," said Lily, but before she could continue, James and Sirius noticed the pair and got up, starting towards their table. "Wanna get out of here?" she asked Severus.

He shook his head. "No, let's see what they have to say."

"Ahhh, Snivellus," Sirius said, sliding into the seat next to Severus. "Our favorite greasy little Slytherin."

James took the seat next to Lily. "Hello, Lily-flower, everything alright over here?" He shifted his gaze pointedly at Severus.

Lily scowled at him. "Well, it was before the two of you showed up. What do you want?"

"We just wanted to say hello," James said, widening his eyes in innocence. "And to give Snivellus here his daily reminder to take a goddamned shower every once in awhile."

Sirius laughed. "Really, man, what's your deal? Afraid of a bit of shampoo?"

Lily's eyes flashed lividly. "No, no, we're not dealing with this right now. You two can either leave now, or I'll tell Madam Pince you're disrupting the peace."

"Ohhh, gonna tell on us, Evans?" said James, his grin widening. "That's not very nice of you."

"Especially coming from a fellow Gryffindor," Sirius said, looking thoroughly offended. "Is Snivellus here indoctrinating you into his little cult?"

"What the hell are you even talking about?" said Severus angrily.

James and Sirius raised their eyebrows at each other. "Well, we won't spoil it for Lily-flower, here," said Sirius, smirking a little at the name James had called Lily. "Let's go, James, we've got better ways to spend our time."

"Reckon so," said James, but he seemed hesitant to leave. "Unless Evans here wants to join us? I promise whatever we're doing will be far more fun than sitting in the library with this sniveling little rat."

At this, Severus whipped his wand out of his pocket and pointed it straight at James's chest. "At least I'm not a-" he broke off with one glance at Lily. He'd been about to call James a muggle-lover, but he couldn't. Not when Lily was there.

Sirius calmly stood up and gave Severus a knowing look. "Well, we'll continue this later then, Snivellus. Come on, James."

James shrugged and stood up as well. "Later, Evans," he said breezily, then followed Sirius out into the corridor. Halfway down the hall, they passed a tall boy with brown hair and a soft face wearing Hufflepuff robes. "Oh, look, it's Art's new boyfriend," James noted when the boy had passed.