"Thanks Alby," Edward said to Alby who simply smiled. He turend around saw the rest of the Gladers waking up and getting to work. He turned back to the brothers. "For the next few weeks, you guys will be trying out different jobs until you find out which one is suitable for you. You guys can work together or separately if you want,"

"I think we'll work together," Thomas decided. He turned to his brother. "If that's what you want Edward,"

"Yep," his younger brother nodded.

"Okay. You guys will spend the first week doing Track Hoe jobs," Alby said. "Zart will give you some tasks,"

The brothers walked toward the gardens where already the Keeper of the Glade's gardener's and his workers including Newt were just getting their tools out.

"So Alby said you're going to try out gardening first?" Newt asked.

"That would be it," Thomas said.

"Well...always good to show newcomers how to garden," Zart said. "Thomas...you'll be doing some potting. And Edmund was it?"

"Edward," the younger brother corrected.

Zart picked up a bucket and shovel. "You're going to pick some fertiliser,"

Edward frowned. "Wait? What?"

Zart tossed him a bucket and spade. "Go into the forest and you'll find a small waste deposit with bones,"

"Bones?" Edward breathed hoarsely.

"Relax. It's really not that bad," Newt tried to assure. "Except the smell of course," his remark only put the younger newbie in a disgusted mood.

"Well you heard them Edward," Thomas shrugged to his little brother. "Go do your task,"

"Fine! But next time you're doing this job!" Edward complained.

"Go on little brother!" Thomas ruffled his hair.

"Stop calling me little!" the bad-tempered Edward stalked off into the woods.

Zart, Newt and the other Track-hoes burst out laughing at the funny interaction between the two.

"Are you always goanna keep calling him little?" Newt jokingly asked.

Thomas just shrugged his shoulders and gave him the 'maybe' face. He got to work with the Track Hoes doing shovelling and digging and planting.

"Has anyone ever tried climbing to the top?" he asked Newt.

Newt turned to him and saw Thomas was looking at the vines snaking up the walls of the Maze walls. "Yep. But where are you going to go from there?"

"What about the box? You know the next it comes you just jump in...

"No! We tried that. The Box won't go back down with someone in it,"

"Okay. What about..."

"We tried it. Twice!" Newt interjected, looking at him seriously with a goofy grin. "Trust me. Anything you think of, we've already tried. The only way out of there is through the Maze," he gestured to the open gates.

Thomas looked to the open gates. He sighed and just continued with his work. As he continued shovelling, he shot careful hidden glances at Newt. For some strange reason, he recognised him. He wished he remembered how.

Edward walked deep into the forest, muttering Zart's instructions out loud. He crossed a small stream when he heard crunching underneath his boots. He looked down. His stomach churned when he saw bones. It was disgusting.