0.1

CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1

T A T Y A N A
AFTER a three-hour flight from New Orleans to North Carolina, we finally arrived at the destination. We had visited the campus so I knew the duration of the trip would take long but my body still wasn't prepared for it. My dad hired a rental car, so the moment the flight ended at the AirPort we went into the car. While the luggage was being put in the car, I stretched my sore muscles before sitting in.

From experience I knew that the drive wouldn't be long. Looking outside I paid attention to the view. I'd be spending three years in this area, and I was looking forward.

"Are you ready?" My mom asked, from the passenger seat she met my eyes through the mirror. I didn't take too long to ponder over the question, since my childhood this is what I wanted. To be a track and field star, the college that I'll be going to will realise this dream.

"Of course, I have been waiting for so long." I answered her.

She chuckled, "honey I know, we always had to hear about it". Not a lot of parents would accept their children doing this so I'm grateful for them. They've been my rock through hard times, and I want to make them proud, and I don't want them to regret their decision in supporting me.

Without my younger brothers being here the car ride fell silent, but a while later we arrived at the campus. With the numerous of time, I've looked up the campus and the one time I already visited, I shouldn't have been speechless again but that was the state I was in.

A green field that was very long before you were able to enter the building.

"Honey, Fara has already arrived." my mom said, I looked over to where she was pointing. There I saw my best friend in a white hijab, oversized sweater tucked in a long skirt. The moment she looked over I waved at her to come. Her parents must have already left since she stood alone.

"Hello, uncle and auntie." My best friend greeted my parents. They shared pleasantries with her, they see her as my own sister which she is. "Have your parents already left?" My father asked.

"Yeah, but they did tell me to send their regards." He nodded. We lived in the same neighbourhood, so our parents knew each other very well.

"We should be taking our leave too," my mom said, she walked towards me before pulling me in a hug.

"Focus on your studies, Tatyana. Your father and I believe that you're going to be an amazing star so keep fighting for your dream." Tears formed in my eyes, but I blinked them away. I didn't like crying in front of my parents. So, I wasn't going to start now.