Chapter 1- A Girl's Best Friend, Not

• Dedicated to Bailey Vander Waal~ You Are Gone And Missed <3

A Girl's Best Friend

By

XxxAJxxX

Hope you enjoy it! it is my first book on Wattpad and let me tell you, it was a lot of trouble to upload it! if you have any advice for me, please comment! hopefully this chapter is followed by many more!!! <3

 Chapter 1

"What do you want?" I asked the big German Shepard that sat in front of me, watching my spoonful of ice cream come close to my mouth.

Russ cocks his head as if to say, "Me? I am just an innocent dog that loves ice cream and I am having a craving for it right now. Please co-operate with me."

I grunt. Russ is my dad's dog. From the start. 'Till the end. I guess not from the start... When we first got Russ, I had to do every thing. Feed him when his food bowl is empty, open the toilet seat when he was thirsty, wake up and take him outside when he has to go to the bathroom at 2 a.m.

Not pleasant...

As you can imagine...

Yup... That was me. And what did my dad do? He swore that when I came home the dog would be stranded in a cornfield. Why did he threat this? Because the dog peed on the rug. Once. And it was a little squirt. I have to admit, I felt sorry for the thing.

Until he ruined my favorite shoe.

And my striped/polka dotted toe socks.

And my old ice skates.

Etc.

Now the dog is Dad's favorite child. Figures. He sleeps with him and eats with him. No joke. The dog has his own spot at the table!

It was Mom's spot.

Until five years ago.

We don't talk about it.

But that is okay because I don't really remember it so there isn't much to talk about.

Anyway, I had loved Russ. I was the one who named him. I wanted to name him Russel, but that was too common. So I changed it, a little, to Russ.

Russ hardly even eats dog food anymore.

I won't go into why i don't like him anymore. It's complicated. Like the tree in our back yard. When you try to figure out where it starts and ends, you get lost in the tangle of branches and leaves. In-climbable.

I get up to put away my now, sadly, empty bowl. Russ whines. Dad sticks his head out of the den.

"Are you teasing my dog?" he asks roughly.

"No."

"Then why is he whining?"

"Ask him," I say sarcastically. Dad glares at me and retreats into the den.

"What was that about?" Jari asks as she stomps down the stairs and enters the kitchen, "Did you mess with his dog?" she says teasingly.

"How come it is his dog? I was the one that had taken care of the dumb thing," I grumble and set down the bowl in the sink.

"And I was the one that wanted It," Jari finishes and opens the fridge and examines the content. Notice how she said it.

"So its your fault!" I laugh and sit down at the table. Jari laughs too and then abandons the fridge.

"We need to get Dad to go to the grocery store," Jari says seriously.

"We have been trying to get him to for a year now," I say gloomily. Jari nods her head and reaches for her car keys. We have three cars.

"Don't forget my pringles!" I call after her as she puts on her shoes. I head towards my room to start my history homework. Russ follows me. "Go away," I growl at him. He barks at me and then jumps onto the nearest chair.

"What is he barking at?" Dad's suspicious voice comes from down the hall. "A rabbit!" I yell and run up the stairs. Russ chases me.

"No chasing Russ in the house!" Dad yells, "He'll scratch the hard wood!"

"I'm not! It's the rabbit!" I retort and slam my door shut. I flop down onto my bed and get into my bag. I  flip through all of my work sheets and choose the newest one. I start the hard battle known as Homework. Then I hear Russ trying to open the toilet seat. I hear Dad's soft voice coming from the bathroom.

"Let me get that for you. Good boy," Dad says in a soft tone. A tone that has been used only on Russ for the past year.