02. ruby lane

02. you've heard about
my daughter          right?
━━━━━━━━━━━━

"NURSE LANE! HELLO!" Ziggy said loudly when they entered the nurses office, and neither girl knew where Nurse Mary was, "I'm in trouble again. Help."

     Estella rolled her eyes at the girl. When was she not in trouble, was the real question.

     "I'm here too, Miss Mary!" Estella called out, and Ziggy looked at the girl, a strange look on her face, which made Estella want to roll her eyes, yet again.

     "What?" Estella questioned, a scoff coming out, as she made eye contact with the girl.

     "Miss Mary?" Ziggy questioned, her head tilting to the side a bit, and Estella let herself roll her eyes at the girl.

     "A, how is that convenient," Estella started, "and B, it's barely a difference, you're so incredibly dramatic, Berman."

     "God," Ziggy rolled her eyes, and turned around, Estella mocking the redheaded girl to her back.

     "Miss Mary!" Estella said loudly, trying to figure out where the lady was, and yet again there was no response from the nurse.

     "Come on, Nurse Lane! I could die any minute now." Ziggy said, starting to lose her patience a little, and Estella fake smiled bitterly.

     "That would be a personal dream come true," Estella responded, and mocking smile on her face, which earned a prompt flip of Ziggy's middle finger to the girl. 

     Ziggy started walking again, Estella following behind as the redhead opened a door to another room. "Nurse Lane? Nurse Lane?" She questioned again, and still no response was heard.

     The girls entered the room, and Ziggy immediately noticed a specific notebook, turning it around so she could read it, Estella looking over her shoulder. 

     Witches Mark, the book read, and Estella and Ziggy both looked at it confusedly, staring at the design in the book.

      "It kinda looks like a pattern of a maze," Estella murmured, tracing the drawing lightly with her fingertips, "almost like a map? I've seen this symbol somewhere..." The girl thought out loud.

      Before Ziggy could respond, a voice spoke up, from behind the two girls, asking what they were doing, causing them to be startled, Estella grabbing Ziggys arm, and Ziggy gripping her hand.

      "Oh my god!" Estella and Ziggy both exclaimed in unison, turning to see Nurse Lane standing in front of the girls.

     "Nurse Lane, you scared the shit out of me." Ziggy laughed lightly, and Estella removed her grip from the girls arm, when she saw the familiar face.

     Nurse Lane looked upset, and confused. A somber, nervous look on her face. 

     "Miss Mary, are you okay?" Estella questioned, and Nurse Lane sniffed her nose, shaking her head a bit, and returning almost normal again.

     "I am. Oh my goodness." Nurse Lane sighed, and then caught notice of the open cut on Estellas lip, and the burn on Ziggys arm, "Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy. What did we do now? And, Ms Harte, what happened to you, dear girl?"