ten.

_____ // author's note

✨sMacK mY aSs liKe a dRUM✨

***

Was he there the whole time?

Kai didn't look like he's been listening to me have sex for the past 30 minutes. He appeared deceptively calm; leaning against the wall with both of his hands in his pockets.

I noticed his dirty blonde hair was still damp, like he stepped out mid-shower, and he changed clothes since I saw him this morning: he was now wearing a fresh pair of jeans and a charcoal gray sweater, with several intricate silver rings adorning his fingers.

"Hello," Sive said cautiously, stepping forward. "You're the student body president, correct? Can I help you with something?"

"I'm here to pick up Ellie," Kai said pleasantly in response. I scanned his face for any clues on what he was thinking, but he gave away nothing.

"How did you know I was here?" I croaked, my shock subsiding long enough for my voice to return.

Kai wordlessly passed me his phone.

My bones disintegrated.

On the screen was a picture of me from an hour ago, standing in front of Sive in my skimpy costume. The text on the bottom of the screen helpfully informed me that it already had 2587 shares.

So he was furious, I noted, terror seizing my body. He was just really good at hiding it.

Sive watched my reaction with alarm, and I watched with equal amounts of panic as he connected the dots in real-time: his troubled gray eyes flickering from this strange, unstable teenage boy back to my violently bruised wrist.

He stepped forward, shielding me, and placed a protective hand on my shoulder.

I stopped breathing.

Please, don't, I tried to communicate telepathically. You'll just make everything worse.

The moment Sive touched me, Kai's face flickered in agitation: a crack in his perfect façade.

A second later, he deliberately pulled out a cigarette from his pocket, holding it between his lips, and lit up right in front of us.

Sive's eyebrows shot up in disbelief. "There's no smoking permitted in the corridors."

Kai tilted his head to the side. Smiled. Took a long draw.

"My bad," Kai drawled, blowing smoke in his face. He lazily appraised the half a dozen chalk handprints on my clothes, and I could almost feel his lingering gaze: undressing me right then and there. "... I seem to be confused about what's permitted at this school lately."  He swiftly put out his cigarette on the music room door, charring the wood.

I turned beet red, wrapping my arms around myself to cover the marks before glancing beside me at Sive. He stood rigidly, his jaw set in a hard line.

So the mask was off, completely, I thought. The realization sunk to the bottom of my consciousness like a heavy stone. Kai wasn't going to pretend like he didn't know what was going on between us, which meant I didn't know how far he was willing to take this...

... which meant I had to get out of here, fast.

Kai caught my eye and I unconsciously swallowed.

"Come here." He ordered softly, as if calling his dog.

Sive held on to my shoulder like he was trying to keep me from going, but I shot him an apologetic look and reluctantly peeled away from his side.