𝟐𝟏. ✭ 𝐃𝐀𝐍𝐈 ✭

"Why don't we give them some space?" Torey's mother offered, probably sensing the nervous tension rolling off of me in waves. They all give her a nod and silently head toward the door, even Brooks.

"Wait." I reach out and grab ahold of his hand. "I don't want you to go."

"Then I'm not going anywhere." Even after walking in on what he had, he's still there for me.

When Torey starts to protest I reiterate, "I want him to stay. He is staying." The three of Torey's parents pause and look between the three of us. I can tell they are debating whether to leave us alone or not.

"Torey?" Luke gives him a pointed look, flickering between him and the baby. It was as if he was wordlessly asking if Torey was going to behave himself. Torey gives him a tight nod which has them leaving.

Once the door shuts I squeeze the hand in mine, thanking him for staying. He had been there for me after I'd given the baby in Torey's arms away. He'd comforted me at the lowest point of my life, been the light in my darkness until Torey had shown up. He knew how devastated I'd been and, even though I hadn't known it at the time, had reassured me that I'd made the right decision. I don't know where I'd be today if it wasn't for him. It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

I let go of his hand, taking a few steps forward until I'm right in front of Torey. The moment my eyes connect with that little life in his arms my heart nearly explodes out of my chest. Every emotion flows through me as those bright blues hold mine. They're the same color as Torey's, even the fluffy black hair on top of his head resembles his father's, though both of us have nearly the same shade.

"Time to say hi to your momma." Torey holds him out to me and the moment I take him in my arms I'm immediately brought back to the one other time I'd held him. I choke back the tears as I look over my baby's beautiful features. My baby. A sob escapes me.

A firm hand grips my shoulder letting me know he's there, that he's not going anywhere and that if I begin to drown he'll be there to pull me out of the water. It's the exact reason I hadn't wanted Brooks to leave, his presence is like a life vest. Fuck, what have I done? I can feel Torey's death glare on me like he'd heard that very thought.

"Hi, little guy." Those bright blues just stare into my eyes as he sucks on his tiny thumb. "Is that yummy?" I tap his little fist with my index finger. "Looks like it's yummy." I rock him in my arms a bit enjoying the weight of him.

Fifteen months. It's been fifteen months since I've held him in arms. I've missed his first birthday, many more firsts of his as well. Thought after thought rolls through my brain making the tears fall freely. Crawling. Sitting. Laughing. The first time he'd stuck that little thumb in his mouth had all been taken from me. My father's face flashes before my eyes and I have never loathed anything or anyone as I loathe him. He was the reason I'd missed all of them.

"How close are you?" I look up at Torey, the tears drying from the rage boiling inside of me now.

"To what?"

"To taking down everything it is that makes my father the man that he is? Taking down his organization?" His lips flatten into a straight line. "Tell me that you are close." He just gives me a half-hearted nod. "What does that even mean, Torey?"

"It means I'm not supposed to talk about it and that it's classified information." He crosses his arms over his broad chest as if to tell me to drop the subject. It infuriates me.

"She wants to know how much longer she's going to have to be without her child. You can't expect her to be okay with him staying here indefinitely now that she's holding him in her arms." Brooks' cold tone cut right through me because I hadn't even thought about not taking him with us. Logically I know we can't but I haven't even thought about leaving him again. I just got you back. The thought makes me cling to him tighter.