Chapter 36 - Hanging with Ace and Race

Start from the beginning

Race laughs.

It felt slightly nice to Ace to hear Race laugh, because usually he was more annoyed than amused by the Brooklyn Newsies.

"Speaking of Spot..." Ace starts slowly, turning his body fo face Race. "I have a question."

Race looks up at him. He had been counting how much money he wanted to bet today.

Race raises an eyebrow at Ace.

Ace inhales slowly. "Be completely honest with me, Race," he starts slowly. "Do you have a crush on him?" He asks.

Race's eyes went wide and his cheeks turned red.

Ace immediately got his answer, but he waited to see if Race would say anything.

Race diverts his eyes back to his money, moving it around in his hand nervously. "Yes?"

Ace almost squealed. "That's great! You admitted it!" He exclaims.

His eyes still wide, Race looks up at him. "You're a lot calmer when you're with me alone." He comments.

Ace chuckles. "Fair." He responds.

Race exhales slowly. "I guess it finally dawned on me that my relationship with Spot isn't platonic or brotherly." He mutters, his cheeks slowly reddening. "And Jack, Davey, Crutchie, and maybe all of Manhattan- though I haven't admitted it to them- know." He informs Ace.

Ace chuckles. "That first part is relatable." He states.

Race laughs softly. "Growing up with so many relationships around me, I didn't know the difference for a while." He explains.

Ace nods.

They both went silent for a second.

"So-" both of them started at the same time.

"You go first." Ace states.

Race shrugs. "I was just asking who you're gonna bet on and how much." He informs Ace.

"Eight and two nickels." Ace answers, looking down at the horses.

Race's eyebrows furrow as he looks over at him. "You realize that's a dime, right?" He questions.

Ace shrugs, sorting through his money in his hand. "I treasure my dimes." He responds.

Race chuckles, shaking his head.

Ace looks over at Race. "You betting on Four?" He asks.

Race nods, looking back at the horses. He smiles. "Always."

Ace smiles.

After placing bets

"So," Ace looks over at Race. "Are you ever going to tell Spot that you like him?" He asks.

Race purses his lips, falling silent for a moment. He shrugs. "I don't know." He mutters. "Probably not."

"Why not?" Ace asks. "He definitely likes you." He tells him, nudging his arm gently.