chapter 5 - i just can't imagine how you could be so okay

Start from the beginning

By the time she was done talking, EJ and Kourtney themselves were excited for the program, and gave her the confidence she needed to pitch the idea. 
_____

Ricky took a deep breath and walked out as the elevator doors opened. He was currently on the hospital floor where his mom was staying. He stopped in the middle of the corridor, bending down to untie and re-tie his shoes, he was really just stalling for time. He decided to give himself a pep talk since Nini wasn't there to do it for him. 

"Okay Ricky. You've got this. She's just your mom, you've met her before, it'll be fine." 

Ricky got up and quickly made his way to her door before he lost the courage. He knocked once, twice, three times, but nobody answered. The door wasn't locked so he just entered the room quietly. He gasped when he saw the figure lying on the bed with machines hooked up everywhere on her body. Ricky had always found his mom intimidating, but right now she looked so frail and old. She was fast asleep, so Ricky just sat on a chair by her bed and scrolled through his phone trying not to think about what she would say if she woke up to see him. 

Ricky was so focused on his phone, he didn't realize someone had come inside the room, and was now standing behind him. 

"Ricky?" 

Ricky clenched his jaw, he recognized the man's voice. 

"Todd." Ricky turned around to face him, and he didn't expect to feel sorry for the guy, but Todd looked like he hadn't slept in days, and he had clearly been crying because his eyes were bloodshot.

"This is a surprise. Lynne will be so happy to see you."

"Umm.. yeah." 

"So, I was just about to wake her up so the nurses can change all these tubes attached to her. And maybe after that you guys can talk. You might want to wait outside for a sec though, it's not a pretty sight." 

"Sure." Ricky took his backpack and stepped out, but he watched them from the small window on the door. Todd had kissed Lynne's forehead, waking her up, and he held her hand the whole time the nurses worked on her. He talked and made her laugh, distracting her from the medical procedures. 

When it was all done, Todd came out to bring Ricky into the room. 

"So, you have a visitor, hon." Todd said to Lynne. "I'm gonna leave you two alone." 

"Hi." Ricky said, shifting his weight from one leg to the other. 

"Richard." Lynne rasped "I didn't expect you to come." 

"Yeah.. you and me both." 

"How long are you going to be in Chicago?" 

"Just for the weekend." Ricky replied. "I've got work on Monday."

"You're still taking photos?" 

Ricky hated whenever they talked about his job, because she always wanted him to be a lawyer like her, and she always made him feel like his job wasn't a "real job". 

"Yes. I'm a photographer, Mom."

"Can I see them? Your photos?" 

This was the first time Lynne had ever shown any interest in his work, so Ricky took out his phone to show her some of his latest works. She seemed to enjoy looking at them, so he showed her some more from his archives. She stopped at a particular photo. It was a side-profile of NIni at the beach, the wind blowing her hair, the sun tanning her skin. She looked stunning. 

"How's Nina?" 

"Uh. We kind of broke up, so I don't really know." 

"I'm sorry to hear that. I liked Nina. She was always the responsible one when you guys were kids. What happened?" 

"I overreacted and my temper got the best of me. Said some things I didn't mean."

"Do you still love her?" 

Ricky didn't expect his mom to be asking such direct questions after not talking for so long. 

"Yes." 

"Then you should fight for her. If you love someone then you go after them, no matter what." 

"Right. Like how you fought to be with Todd. I've seen the way he treats you. I get it, Mom, I really do.. he loves you, you're in love." Ricky spoke, tears forming in the corner of his eyes. "But did you have to leave me ? Did you really have to choose him over me?" 

"Ricky. I didn't choose Todd over you-" 

"Really? You're here with him, and you never visited me. Not one birthday or Christmas since high school. I just don't get how you could be so okay with not seeing your son for so many years. I hope it was worth it, Mom. I hope you and Todd live happily ever after." 

"Richard.." 

"I have to go. Maybe this wasn't a good idea." 

____