Elarinya nods and lowers her head "Thank you, your highness."

He places his hand over her shoulder solemnly "I owe you my own life, Elarinya. Legolas is the only thing that keeps me in this world. If you ever need anything, I won't deny."

Knowing she would say nothing else, the king left silently.

In that afternoon they were to discuss any plans for how to deal with the orcs, a matter that had been postponed due to Legolas' almost death. They all wait in the library for Gimli to arrive, but when he does he doesn't step beyond the door "Elarinya, your sister calls for you. There's a mercenary in the Houses of Healing that wishes to speak to you. Something about a letter."

Elarinya wides her eyes and raises. She turns to her friends "You should come too," and leaves right away.

"You do not have a price on your head, do you?" Aragorn asks as he follows her.

"No. I mean, I don't think so," she explains as she walks "I've been leaving letters in taverns that I know are visited by other mercenaries, expounding what has been going on with the orcs and ask the network to respond with any clues. Most were attacks on villages, but for someone to come here and wounded... He might have something important."

"Network?" Legolas asks, curious.

"Yes, we are fourty seven, scattered around. It is a mess sometimes when two head for the same prize."

He smiles "You seem their leader by the way you talk."

She looks over her shoulder "Leader is a very strong word to describe it. I'm the only woman, I keep things organized."

They reach the Houses of Healing and Athelas appears out of a room "At the end, left bed."

Elarinya peeks who it is and turns around "It's safe. He won't kill any of us."

She reaches the bed, touches the man's arm. His leg is hurt and there are cuts on his face. The man looks at her "Umbra," and then at her friends "You brought quite the entourage. Two kings, one prince. You could be rich."

She stiffles a laugh "They are my friends. They know my name."

The man, over his fifties but with a strong young body, looks at them "Elarinya's friends get to know mine too. My name is Deormod. I was a soldier of Gondor and exiled by Denethor, like her father. I lived in the same village. And I appreciate what you have done for my people, king Aragorn."

Aragorn nods "Like your people, you will find a home here if you wish."

The man nods in return and turns to her "We've read your letters. Me and Silver found a group of orcs near the Beornings, they were heading north unlike the others, returning to their chief."

"You followed them?"

"Gundabad," his expression turns somber, worried, scared "It's war, Ela. They are thousands, just as we saw in Mordor decades ago. They are prepared to attack once autumn begins. They will follow down the Anduin and kill whatever stands in their path, they will burn down the woods. With their numbers, whatever they want to do, they can."

Elarinya looks at her friends. They all have the same look on their face. War has returned to these lands. They must call everyone, settle a place to fight. She looks at her friend again "You spoke of a chief. Did you see who it was?"

"We infiltrated the palace. It's a she-elf. She looks young and has fair hair, but seemed angry and sad. And she had a dark walking cane."

"Where's Silver?"

"He didn't make it."

Elarinya sighs "I'm sorry."

Deormod looks at the kings "They will take everyone on their way. You must fight them before they reach too far south."

Athelas appears "We have to treat your leg, Deormod."

The man smirks "Your sister has grown very bossy."

"You don't tell me," Elarinya comments, winking at her "I've been under her wrath a couple of times. She even has a boyfriend now."

Athelas blushes "Alright, out of my infirmary now."

Deormod laughs and holds both their hands "Girls," he speaks solemnly "Your parents would be very proud of you two. It fits you, you know? Walking among kings."

Elarinya squeezes his hand "Rest now, heal. My sister will take care of you."

Athelas smiles at her. Elarinya and the group walk outside. Things have changed. They head to the library.

_______

I hope you're enjoying this ride! Don't forget to vote and comment your favorite parts!