15. Kahani Mein Twist Hai

Beginne am Anfang

"Hindustani hai toh hindustani hi rahenge. Khair, as I was saying, Fahad ku Hitler nai bolo, ghar ka bacha hai."

"He never even lived here!" I say exasperatedly, swinging my arms.

"It's just a saying." Maryam laughs.

I open my mouth to say something when Pho, waves her hand. "Saira, relax meri bachi. Take deep breaths and show me what you got." 

"Oh yes! Hitler ki chakkar me, it totally slipped my mind." Beaming, I spring to my feet, and carry the bags to the diwan, taking the dresses out one by one.

"I was planning on either this or that for the party. Not really sure which one though. It's a 50-50." I say, resting my hands on my hips. The one to my left was a classic cream-colored Chikankari work Anarkali style Kurti paired with georgette self-printed Lehenga and a matching Dupatta. To my right was a georgette gown in a light mauve color with a high collar and embroidered throughout.

"What'd you get for me?" We whip our heads in the direction of the British accent.

Oh! Did I mention the Dulhan has landed? Well, she did, along with her family of course! Including the most annoying soul on this planet, Ayra Malik, the youngest child to bade papa. She is a pain in the ass, if you ask me, who manages to have the world in her pretty fragile fists, and no one tells her anything simply because she never listens and begin with the list of excuses. 

She doesn't know anything! She is not used to eating all this! She is just a child! How can she know about the Indian ways?  She can't speak Urdu, because she never lived here! 

Huh! Tell me about vexatious cousins.

Oh, and, I am her target. 

Every. Single. Time.

"Was I supposed to get you any?" I ask, blinking at her confused. Ayra shoots me a bored look, chewing her nails. Her eyes lazily falling on the dresses, on my dresses that lay on the diwan as if on sale. Slowly reaching out, she touches the mauve gown then quickly picks it up, examining it.

"I'll wear this, thank you." She announces, turning to leave already.

"But--" I stop abruptly, feeling a hand on my wrist. Glancing at Pho, I see her shaking her head at me. "Pho!" 

"You still have another one for you." She reasons.

"Pho, it's not fair! We're not kids anymore! She can't do this all the time!"  

"I know, meri jaan. She doesn't even listen to any of us. There's no point in yelling at her and wasting your energy." 

See!

"F🤬cking great!" I throw my hands in the air, plopping down on the couch beside her. 

"Where is my American Turkey?" My ears perk up at the cheerful sound, as I turn my head to find Rehana baji ambling into the living room.

"Your American Turkey is bursting with rage," Pho mutters mischievously. "Her dress's been hijacked."

"Who did--- the pretty mauve? I thought you-- Oh lord! My poor baby." 

I pout as she throws her arms around me, and stroking my head. "Can't really do anything about that. I hope you got a choice?" she asks hopefully.

See!

"I do," I reply with a loud sigh.

"Show it to me, I'm sure it's better than that. Have you decided on which one to wear yet?"