Chapter 10 - The Fear

– Really?! Deniz, this is huge! Congratulations! – Ezgi hugged her friend tightly. She knew Deniz was a great lawyer, but the recommendation letter her old boss gave her was so full of praises, that the ladies from Ayça's foundation didn't even bother to interview her. Their first meeting turned into a planning session and as of yesterday the preparations were full on.

– I still cannot believe it. Hopefully this will bring in more clients. – Deniz sighed with content. – I need them. So far I only have La Gabbia and auntie Fitnat's divorce.

– How is that going?

– I cannot discuss the details, but it's going. – She sipped her coffee. It was still hot.

Ever since Cansu left, Deniz and Ezgi started coming to the café located on the barge. It stood anchored by at the pier alongside others. The place wasn't big, there were six tables, each of them could fit only two people. But the owner clearly didn't care about the crowds and instead put the emphasis on the atmosphere. He kept the steering wheel, old bells, ropes and nets. The floorboards were worn out, the white walls could use a fresh coat of paint and the lamps were just old oil lamps repurposed to electric ones. The ceiling was covered by golden fairy lights and in the evening the place turned into an intimate spot for couples right in the centre of the town. The only thing missing was the music, but with the sound of waves and the calls of seagulls nobody really cared for that.

– And you? How's the wedding going? – Deniz reached for simit with strawberry jam, added a dollop of sour cream and with that she felt in heaven.

 – Everything is ready. – Ezgi smiled and looked to the sea. – I cannot believe that in seven days Özgür and I will be married. It really feels like I just met him.

– Well... It's been what? Four months? It is kinda fast.

– That's the thing, though. – Ezgi popped an olive into her mouth. – It doesn't feel fast at all. I feel like I've known him my whole life. I know everything about him.

– Do you? – Deniz raised her eyebrows skeptically. – That's a bold statement.

– Well, tamam. Maybe not everything, but all that matters. Although... – Ezgi bit her tongue. – Never mind.

– What?

– I'm sure it's nothing, but he's been weird with his phone lately.

– Weird how? – Deniz finished eating and wiped her mouth.

– He puts his phone with the screen down and always makes sure not to leave it with me. It's kinda weird, cause a week ago I could just take it to check an e-mail and so on. Now he pushes laptop my way. – The waiter took the plates and Deniz motioned to him to bring two more coffees. Ezgi was observing seagulls fighting for a piece of bread. The sky was slowly turning orange and everything around gained a lovely golden hue. – I trust him, I know he's doing nothing wrong, but...

– But?

– I don't know. – Ezgi sighed and waved her hand. – I may be exaggerating but a few days ago I could swear I saw a message from Derin.

– Who's Derin?

– Remember when we went off-road driving? The girl from the car rental mentioned that Özgür used to come with Derin?

– Ah, yes, I remember. – Her phone vibrated on the table, letting Deniz know Ozan send a message. – I even asked Ozan about her, but he wouldn't say a word.

– Same with Özgür. I figured she's one of his exes, but nothing aside from that.

– And now they're texting again. – Deniz didn't like the sound of this. – You need to talk to him. Just be straight forward and see how he reacts. And do it sooner rather than later. The clock is ticking. We're supposed to be leaving to Italy in four days.