Éowyn laughs and places her hand over hers "Elarinya, she probably went outside with him. You've proven to know how to take care of yourself and put people on their place, I believe you taught her the same."

"Yes, I trust her very much. And he does seem a nice man..." Elarinya seems more calm.

Éowyn laughs once more "You look like my brother," Éomer complains by their side and Éowyn continues with a smile "She is enjoying the party and so should you. You should go dance for a little too, have some fun."

"I've already said no to half of the Rohirrim, I believe they have given up asking by now..." Elarinya answers and Éomer laughs, she continues "And it's easier for you, who are married and have a lifetime partner for these occasions."

Gimli says "I would offer to dance with you, but these human dances are too different from mine. We dwarves have more fun, and dances that would not be fit for these halls. And the height difference could make it difficult, though I always accept a good challenge."

Elarinya laughs "I appreciate, Gimli."

Legolas raises and goes to her side, offers her his hand "Lady Elarinya, would you give me the honor of dancing with me?"

"Oh-" Elarinya looks at him incredulous "Oh no, I wouldn't like to embarrass you, I can't possibly accept."

Legolas furrows his eyebrows and Aragorn teases "Are you saying no to the prince?"

Elarinya looks at her friends, but they all are smiling teasingly, all plotting against her. Thranduil is talking with someone else, but he is surely listening. Legolas' hand still waits for hers, he offers her a smile as she finally looks at him. She takes it. He drives her to the middle of the people. 

"Legolas, I'm telling you, I'm not that good dancer."

"If your sister is, I'm sure you are too. I remember you said your parents loved to dance, didn't they? They taught you?"

"Really, I-"

"These dances are all the same," he laughs gently and holds her "Just follow me, I'll guide you."

She is too shy at first, but after some steps she proves not to be that bad dancer she was claiming. Her mother loved to dance, and instilled in their daughters they should seize every celebration, dance the night away. By the end of the dance, she is smiling at him and having fun. He doesn't let her go and they dance a second one. 

"Isn't it inappropriate for you to dance with me?" she asks as he twirls her and he raises an inquisitive eyebrow "I definitely look like a peasant," she sees he is about to deny and antecipates with a laugh "Just before, someone mistook me for a servant and handed a jar of wine for me to store. I poured myself some, obviously."

Legolas laughs "I think you look very beautiful," she blushes, effect of his comment but perhaps also the wine "And you're a great dancer." 

"You're not so bad yourself."

"Of course not. I'm the prince. Dancing is part of my learning."

She chuckles and he smiles. She truly looks beautiful and more relaxed now, and he thanks whoever invented human dances for being so close and intimate. It remembers him of the warm gentle hug he received from her, and he realizes how he missed having her in his arms. He doesn't let her go and they keep to a third dance. 

On the grand table, everyone looks and has a suspicious smile on their faces. Even Thranduil himself has been looking at his son and the woman, how the genuine smile braces his face when she smiles or laughs. Legolas doesn't seem broken. 

They keep on dancing with each other. The seventh dance has too many twirls at the end, and the wine is having some effect on Elarinya. She feels dizzy and holds herself to his shoulders, he realizes and holds her firmly, right hand on her waist, his left hand holding hers "Are you alright?"

"Too much wine..."

* Luckily, the following dance is very calm and slow, and Legolas simply sways her from side to side. Elarinya finally regains her balance and looks at him. He smiles at her "Thank you for accepting dancing with me. All those lords talking were very dull, but you made this an incredible night."

Elarinya stares at him, they are so close, she only focuses on the deep blue of his eyes, his words playing on her head. It is as if time itself has stopped and the dance could last forever. Was that how the elves felt? Was their immortality like this, like feeling this particular moment could be theirs for an eternity?

Just as this dance, the feelings surround her slowly and in the most simple way, as if a curtain opening little by little, unravelling a truth that was already behind it. She is in love with him, and she realizes she has loved him for a while, that it slowly grew day by day, until it bloomed, like a flower in the spring. 

The music is finishing and only then she realizes time has not stopped. She smiles, and as the music ends she steps away and bows "Thank you for this moment, Legolas. But I think I'm going home now."

He looks shaken, but smiles kindly "I can walk you there."

She smiles "I can handle myself. Besides, it seems you have other ladies to dance with."

And it is true, as ladies of the court saw the two of them, they didn't hesitate and waited for the moment he would be free. He danced with a woman, he had to dance with others. He tries to say something, but she bows once again, smiles at him and leaves. 

She walks home, the gentle breeze trying to appease the love bursting in her heart. She could not stop it now, could only hide it from him and try to live with it. She enters, takes off her shoes and lays on the couple's bed she and her sister share. Athelas is already under the blanket, but Elarinya is too overwhelmed to even change her clothes. Athelas turns to her, speaks gently "I saw you and Legolas dancing," there is no answer and Athelas places her hand over her arm "Ela, what is it?"

Elarinya's eyes are watering, there is such love in her heart she doesn't know how to handle it "Do you remember when mother and father used to dance? They looked at each other so purely, in a way we didn't understand back then. I think I do now."

The tears finally fall from her eyes. Elarinya is in love and scared. Athelas hugs her and they fall asleep.

_______

I hope you're enjoying this ride! Don't forget to vote and comment your favorite parts!