"Renjun-shi?" Mia called as he passed. Renjun blinked, and look over at her. Mia narrowed her eyes. "Is Renjun-shi feeling alright?"

"Um, yeah." His eyes shifted to the side, and he ran his hands through his hair. "I just found out something really, really awesome."

But he didn't sound excited about it. And his face looked ashen. "What is it?" Mia asked, tilting her head to the side.

"Well – you probably don't know this but last summer, I almost drowned at the beach, and someone saved me. I've been looking for her all year."

Mia's heart constricted painfully tight. For a moment, she forgot how to breathe.

Renjun had been searching for her?

Actively looking?

Why hadn't she known?

"And I just found out who it was."

Mia's heart stopped beating altogether. He knew it was her.

Was that why he looked so terrible?

Because he hated her?

Did he think she was disgusting?

Was he disappointed it was her? Was she-

"It was Ara"

Mia froze.

"Yeah. She just texted me, and I met her out in the hallway. Said she was too shy before. It..." he shook his head. "It doesn't make any sense, but she told me about her blue bikini-" Renjun snapped his mouth shut in embarrassment. "Anyway. I figured I'd take her to Homecoming tonight, y'know, as a thank you. Guess I'll see you there?"

"No." She answered automatically. There was cotton in her ears. "No, Mia won't be able to make it tonight."

"Oh." Renjun's face was an odd mix between crestfallen and relieved. Mia didn't want to look at it. "Well. Another time, then."

Mia nodded, and just like that, Renjun was gone. Donghyuck passed her on his way out, and although he looked almost as bad as she felt, he still stopped and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, Mia. You okay?"

She nodded, swallowing. Donghyuck didn't look convinced, but Mia hefted the old beach bag on her shoulder and left before he could say anything else.

As Mia walked to the bathroom, she went faster and faster, until she broke out into a run, shoving past anyone in her way.

She pushed the door to the bathroom open, nearly blinded by the tears welling in her eyes. Mia crashed into one of the stalls, slamming the door behind her and locking it with shaking fingers.

She was already sobbing by the time she curled up on the toilet seat. And just like she had done back in elementary school, Mia cried in the bathroom stall. No one came to check on her. She stayed until the final bell rang.

Jeno slammed the hood of the Jeep down. "Right," he said, dusting off his hands. "Should run good as new."

Yeseul clasped her hands together in delight. She had been in a dour mood all day, but the second Jeno told her he was finished working on the Jeep, she'd brightened considerably.