Chapter 9

TW!

Two weeks had elapsed since Amelié's leisurely stroll through Central Park, yet the days seemed to blur together with little to report

The building Axel and Marc meticulously scouted turned out to be a fruitless endeavor—a dead end devoid of any significant findings.

Despite Corey's tireless efforts, the formidable cyber security measures thwarted his attempts to infiltrate the mafia's digital stronghold.

Meanwhile, Emiliano had yet to make contact with Amelié, leaving her to navigate the silence and uncertainty on her own.

Despite her reluctance to encounter Emiliano, Amelié was keen to expedite the mission's conclusion. The urgency gnawed at her, urging her to seize any opportunity to gain access to his phone.

Corey's devised plan offered a glimmer of hope. If she could procure Emiliano's phone for just five minutes, Corey could work his technological wizardry and extract the necessary data. Yet, the prospect of being alone with Emiliano filled her with a sense of trepidation.

The possibility loomed large that Emiliano might exploit the solitude for his own nefarious intentions—perhaps making unwelcome advances that bordered on the intimate. Such a scenario was enough to send shivers down her spine, casting a shadow of apprehension over the mission's already precarious path.

Perched atop Corey's bed, Amelié found herself in an unlikely situation, with Marc's head nestled comfortably in her lap. They listened intently as Corey delved into the complexities of electronics and data, his explanations sailing over their heads like elusive wisps of smoke.

"I'm lost," Marc confessed, his bemusement mirrored by Amelié's nod of agreement.

Corey let out a frustrated sigh, his fingers dancing across the keyboard in a flurry of activity. "Forget it," he muttered, resigned to the fact that his technological discourse had fallen on deaf ears.

Amelié and Marc exchanged a bemused glance before shrugging, returning to their previous activities—Amelié gently stroking Marc's hair while he playfully tickled her legs. In the midst of Corey's technical monologue, their simple yet intimate interaction provided a welcome respite, grounding them in the present moment amidst the whirlwind of the mission.

"I need to go shopping," Amelié murmured, her fingers absently scratching at Marc's scalp, creating a soothing rhythm in the quiet room.

"I need some toiletries," she added in a soft tone, her gaze distant as she contemplated her list of necessities.

Marc lifted his head to look at her, his expression concerned yet attentive.

"Want me to come with?" he offered, his voice tinged with concern. However, she shook her head in response, a small smile playing on her lips. The shop lay just across the road from the hotel, its proximity offering a sense of familiarity and ease.