Sleeping Beauty

A soft smile was painted on your lips as you talked to Minerva in the teacher's lounge. It was the end of the term and Christmas holidays were just starting, so to welcome the festivities, the teachers arranged a small party as most of them were going home for the holidays.

"And then Seamus put something in his cauldron and it exploded! It would have been so funny if Severus didn't scold him." you said to the elder professor which made her smile.

You were the potions assistant so you were always present when Severus taught his classes.

"Oh, I know dear. That boy somehow, explodes everything he touches." said Minerva which made you laugh slightly.

"And how have you been? Do you like the job so far?" she asked and you nodded "Oh, yes totally. I couldn't be happier. I love this place." you said enthusiastically.

"I know, (y/n). I recognised that gleam in your eyes the first time you arrived here." you smiled softly at her "And, is there someone you are interested in?" curiosity washed over you at her question "What do you mean, Minerva?"

"I know of two men who have their eyes on you." your eyes widened in surprise, could one of them be Severus?

When you started to work at Hogwarts as the potions assistant, soon enough you found yourself falling for the professor who was currently your boss. You know he'd never love you back, or that's what you thought.

"Who, Minerva? Don't leave me like this." you said almost anxiously. She was about to tell you when suddenly, someone approached you and said "(y/n), there's something I need to tell you." you turned around only to see Gilderoy Lockhart standing behind you with two glasses of wine.

You smiled politely and said to Minerva "I'll be right back." she nodded at you "Sure, dear."

Then, you walked with the Defence Against the Dark Arts professor to another part of the room. He offered you a drink and you gladly took it. "So, what was that that you wanted to tell me?" you asked, running your finger at the edge of the goblet of wine.

The blond man stepped closer to you, something you didn't like at all. You took a step back, hitting your back with the wall behind you "I want to tell you how beautiful you are, (y/n)." your breath hitched in your throat as his hand went to caress your cheek.

But his hand was caught in mid air by another hand, a hand you know too well "You should know when a woman is feeling uncomfortable before complimenting her, Lockhart." the unmistakable voice of the Potions Master said, making you look up at him in an instant.

His voice was dangerously low and he spat the blond man's name with pure venom. Gilderoy laughed nervously but before he could say something else, Severus said "Let's go, (y/n)."

Without another word, you and the Potions Master walked away, leaving a frustrated Lockhart behind. Once you two were in another part of the room, you said to him "Thanks, Severus. For what you did back there."

He turned to look down at you with a certain softness in his usual cold eyes "Don't thank me. He should see when someone is getting uncomfortable in his presence." You smiled shyly at him, glancing down at the goblet of wine you still had in your hands.

A minute of awkward silence passed between you two until Severus said "So, do you like to read?" This time you smiled genuinely at him "Who doesn't?"

A small smirk appeared on his lips but it was gone as fast as it came. "What do you like to read, (y/n)?" he asked "Oh, well... I like both muggle and wizarding literature. I believe there's nothing better than a good book and a cup of tea."

"I have to agree with you on that." you smiled at his words "And what do you like to read, Severus?" He sighed at your question, pondering his answer for a second before saying "I mostly read potions books but I also enjoy a good story from time to time."