CHAPTER 1

Copyright©jakebocado, 2015

"Hindi naman kase mahirap. You just have to be fully committed to it." Sabi ko sa kablockmate ko na nahihirapan pa rin sa balancing equation. It was sad that Dr. Abaquita will no longer be our Chemistry instructor as she has been promoted as the Dean of College of Arts and Sciences. I was so sad at first but little by little, I accepted it and felt happy for her. Who are we to stop her from achieving all her aspirations in life. Being promoted as the Dean of that department is already a big opportunity for her. She also said that she does not want us to be sad because she is very much certain that the replacement will be as compitent as her.

She said that the instructor who will replace her has just graduated his master's degree in Belgium. She also told us that her replacement is drop-dead gorgeous. Damn! Sino kaya ang lalaking ito?  Magiging part na naman ito ng scrapbook ko featuring all my labs in College days. This is my all- time fave collection since I was a freshmen student. Name all the possible handsome guys na nasa university namin ay for sure part yun ng scrapbook ko. Haha.

So, I have been spending the whole vacant hours doing a tutorial class with my classmates. As expected, 70 percent of my classmates in Chemistry are having their hardest time of their lives. Since I was the only one who eats Chemistry for breakfast, I volunteered to teach them whenever is possible as we have this long- term dream to graduate together.

"Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh..." there are group of girls running making such annoying noise in the lunch counter. They are running towards that group of boys who I believe from the Engineering Department. I recognized one of them because of my boy collection 101. Chos.

"Mga Tagi." I uttered. Tagi is a cebuano gay lingo for Igat in tagalog MALANDI, in English we called it BITCH! I am also one of those as I have been crushing on handsome guys in the campus but I do not act the way they do. As I am in the university and this is the place where we have to learn not only lessons but also how to act your age or to be prim and proper. Chos.

"Jasper, siguro yung isang guy yung pinagkakaguluhan nila. I heard he just transferred here kase things did not work on nung nag aaral siya sa kabilang University." Wow. I cannot believe that Jitka will be that more nosy than me when it comes to boys.

"Saan mo naman yan nabalitaan, aber?" I asked her.

"Nung isang araw, dumating siya sa boarding house namin. I think he is occupying the newly rennovated room. I think sinadya na ipaayos for him. Gwapo siya, Jasper." Jitka answered.

Oh. This caught my attention. Pero I have to be very careful na because muntikan ng masira yung DSLR Cam ko nang habulin ako nung lalaking inistalk ko from the College of Medicine. Sana he will be as good as most guys na pinipicturan ko ng palihim.

Newly transferree si guy, from Engineering Department. I took a damn note of this on my notebook.

After 2 vacant hours, it is time for us to have Chemistry. What I like about Tuesdays is that we do not have already a class after 4 PM and prior to Chemistry is 2 Holy vacant hours that is from 1 PM to 3 PM. While walking towards the Science Building, nilingon ko talaga yung guys na nakaupo doon. Hindi ko masyadong namukhaan si Mr. Transferee pero sa malayo I could see na he is really good looking. Okay lang, marami pa akong time for him. What I am thinking is kung gaano ba ka totoo na gwapo ang magiging bagong Chemistry instructor namin. This brings a lot of excitement not only to my part but to all the girls in our class.

Mas lumalakas ang kabog ng dibdib ko habang papalapit na papalapit kami sa Chem lab. And unti- unti ay nasusulyapan na namin ang isang lalaking nakaabang mula sa pintuan ng room.

Gosh. Dr. Abaquita is right! Our new instructor is DROP- DEAD GORGEOUS! I am feeling it that this is going to be the most exciting semester of mt whole College Life.

"Good afternoon, Sir." Not pinaka sabay- sabay but almost.

"Are you from the College of Education? BSED- English?" He asked.

"Yes po." Ate Aileen politely answered him.

"Please have a seat. I have arranged you in random order. I actually drew the seatplan so please check it."

Oh no! This cant happen! He put me at the back! I do not want to be situated at the back. Hindi ako malapit to him. I do not want to cause trouble on his first day kaya I remained in silence. The room is filled with extreme silence not just because of the awkward feeling we always feel during the first day of class but also because most of my classmates really hate this subject. I even questioned myself why minor subjects would always be a threat to us English Major. Not to mention, I got 2.0 in my Spanish Class last semester. It was a nightmare for me being a Grade Conscious student.

"Our real class will start tomorrow. To ease the awkward feeling that you and I are feeling right now, let us just spend this hour with GTKY activity. By the way, I am Noel Celeste you can call me Sir Noel. I am not good in creating twists so let us just have the usual one. First, introduce your name, then your expectation with this subject but this time under my advisorship."

In silence, I wrote the key points of my speech while waiting for my turn. I always do that whenever we will have a graded recitation. There is no harm of writing whatever you will say.

After Jezreel finished his turn, I stand up and say

"Hi, I am Jasper Marasigan and I do not actually give expectations but I think I am obliged to give some for you." Gosh I am distracted by his smiles.

"My favorite minor subject is Chemistry so the least expectation I could give is for you to teach us this lesson with full of passion and dedication. Make this subject more friendly to me and my classmates. And of course, this should be in quality because I have heard about your credentials and it made me feel excited as this is going to be the very first time that we will have an instructor who finished his master' s degree abroad."

Nakangiti lang siya sa akin all the time I was speaking.

"Thank you, Jasper. And I would expect a lot from you as Dr. Abaquita has mentioned you a couple of times during the time she turned over all her files in this subject. I am also impressed your 0 mistake record in this subject. Inorganic Chemistry is different from the General Chemistry you had in the first semester. I will keep an eye on you."

Wow. I am not sure if he is complimenting me for that or he is warning me because this is going to be as hard as fuck? He smiles a lot but I am not sure if those were real.

Jasper Marasigan, hold your breath.
.................